Sattelite WIFI by 2025

For the first time, real competition for Cable and Cell company price controls.

SpaceX plans to launch first internet-providing satellites in 2019 - The Verge

1 Like

you mean besides

HughesNet® Gen5 | Call 844-737-2700 for High-speed Satellite Internet

#1 Fastest Home Satellite Internet – Exede

Satellite internet has its issues and I’m not a believer that the quality can be maintain over the needed distance

1 Like

drm186 wrote:

you mean besides

HughesNet® Gen5 | Call 844-737-2700 for High-speed Satellite Internet

#1 Fastest Home Satellite Internet – Exede

Satellite internet has its issues and I’m not a believer that the quality can be maintain over the needed distance

HughesNet uses a small number of high (geostationary) orbit satellites. As a result, bandwidth is limited and latency is high (geostationary orbits are at 26,236mi).

What SpaceX will be doing is launching a low orbit high-density constellation of (up to about 4000) small satellites. These will be meshed, bypassing most terrestrial infrastructure (other than high bandwidth up/down links). Latency should be on par with, or better than, existing infrastructure. Gigabit connectivity will be available once the mesh is more densely populated.

These will require a small hardcover book sized transceiver to provide WiFi, but the service will be available globally.

More L-band junk? Meh.

Web connections that are worldwide, fast, with no wires, no cables and no need to tolerate or rely on big monopolies like Comcast ever again? At least Comcast will have competition and their rates will finally fall, if they survive at all. To me that is all very significant.

1 Like

Well. a stated intent is much different from a done deal. As I read the Verge article SpaceX has an aspirational goal of launching a prototype some time in 2019 with the ultimate goal of bringing the system online in 2024. SpaceX is an interesting company and I certainly hope they or someone else is able to pull it off but I’m not counting on being able to sign up just yet.

1 Like

Elon Musk’s track record has been pretty good so far. PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity have all beaten the odds. Neuralink, Hyperloop, and The Boring Company are interesting as well.

Google and Fidelity have contributed $1B in funding for the satellite WiFi project, and he already has high deployment rockets, so it doesn’t seem all that unreasonable to expect a good outcome.

homelessonwheels wrote:

More L-band junk? Meh.

They’ll be using frequencies between 10GHz and 30GHz, in the Ku and Ka bands.

1 Like

I’d say the track record is mixed. There’s this unfortunate event from just last year: Dramatic Video Shows Huge Scale of SpaceX Rocket Explosion. And, Tesla while a very cool concept is making no money: Tesla Didn’t Earn Any Money in the First Quarter, but Here Are 8 Awesome Things We Just Discovered - TheStreet. I hope for success as I like the concept but far too soon in 2017 to tell what 2025 will look like.

Or maybe Home - OneWeb | OneWorld will win the race. We shall see.

1 Like

So 7-8 years is an awfully long lead time for a launch of a product that will probably be surpassed by other technology before then. I personally think cellular is the answer for broadband with the higher speeds and bandwidth.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer