Saving a Dying Phone?

I’ve had my Moto G 1st edition for about 2 1/2 years at this point. It’s really struggling. Doesn’t vibrate when people call me, struggles to make outbound calls, etc. Would doing a factory reset to restore the phone do any good? Would it extend its useful life a few more months, or do I need to just buy a new phone now?

See if Clearing Android System Cache/Partition revives your phone. It shouldn’t take too long to do and it will not delete any personal information:

For your convenience here are the instructions:

1. Power off the device and unplug it.

2. Press and hold the Volume Down button. While still holding Volume Down button, press and release the Power button.

3. Press and release the Volume Down button until you reach Recovery Mode.

4. Press and release the Power button to select Recovery Mode. The device will restart. An image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark will appear.

5. Press and hold the Power button, press the Volume Up button once and then release the Power button.

6. Use the Volume buttons to scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. If an additional confirmation screen appears, use the Volume buttons to scroll to Yes and the Power button to select it.

7. Once the cache wipe has completed, press the Power button to select Reboot System Now.

Yes, sometimes a factory reset does wonders for a phone. If you decide to do that, it’s important to back up everything you want to keep as the phone will be returned to it’s out of the box state.

Please read this document carefully, it not only has instructions for a factory reset, but also for backing up the phone.

If in fact you’re phone is a G3 as @jben stated then use these instructions for Clearing Android Cache/Partition:

1. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables.

2. With the phone off, press and hold both the VOL DOWN and POWER buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons.

3. The phone will display some information about the phone, and will have “Start” highlighted at the top right of the screen. Use VOL DOWN to scroll through the options to RECOVERY MODE and press the POWER button to select.

4. The phone will display the Motorola logo, then the Android figure lying down with an exclamation point with the words No Command underneath. Press and hold the POWER button and tap the VOL UP button. Note: If you wait too long to perform this step, the phone will reboot and you’ll need to start the process again.

5. The phone will display additional menu options, with text in blue. Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and press the POWER button to select it. The cache wipe will begin immediately.

6. After the Cache Wipe is complete, the blue text menu items will reappear, with “Reboot system now” highlighted. Press the POWER button to select it.

2 Likes

If you have had the phone for 2.5 years it’s probably a G3. I would do the following (using the instructions provided above)

• Clear Cache … both System and Applications, if fixed stop
  • Boot up in Safe Mode – Republic Help
    • If fixed, then an App is the problem … find and remove, if fixed stop
  • Factory Reset
2 Likes

If it’s 2.5 years, then it’s a G1. My X1 passed the three year mark last March and the G1 just passed the three year mark this June.

I believe the G1 was sold up to May or June of 2015.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer