Service, plan, and phone question

Background: My old Moto phone (don’t remember what it was but it had 4gb storage) got decent coverage in my area. Then I needed to upgrade due to lack of space, so I got my current phone, a Moto E2 with the refund plan. Love this plan but the coverage in my area declined quite a bit. It says Spring so I guess that’s the problem. This is more Verizon/US Cellular country. Anyway, I need a newer phone, something with 16gb is what I was thinking, but I see I’ll have to have a different plan BUT I’ll supposedly have better coverage.

My questions:

1. If I were to buy a Moto G3 Republic Wireless phone off eBay, I have read it will work with the old refund plan. Is this correct?

2. If I were to buy the Moto G3, would the coverage be the same as my Moto E2 or would it be better like the other phones Republic’s ZIP code searcher feature is telling me would work in my area?

When I do the ZIP code search, it only shows me phones Republic Wireless is currently selling, and I would rather have the better coverage with the refund plan if I could. It seems silly for me to pay more money for data I never even used every month anyway…

Hi @adulting,

The only 4 GB phone I believe Republic sold was the Moto E1. There should be no difference between coverage on that phone and on your current Moto E2. Like all legacy Republic phones, both are/were provisioned with Sprint for cellular coverage. Sprint has roaming agreements with Verizon, U.S. Cellular and other roaming partners but, again, there should be no difference in coverage between a Moto E1, E2 or any other legacy Republic phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2).

Republic 3.0 does offer the possibility of provisioning coverage with Republic’s GSM partner rather than Sprint. We would need to know the zip code in question to opine as to whether coverage with Republic’s GSM partner would be an improvement for you. Since neither Verizon or U.S. Cellular are GSM carriers, I suspect the answer is no.

To directly answer your questions:

1. Yes.
  2. You would have the same coverage as on your E2.

Perhaps, it would be best to troubleshoot your coverage experience on the E2 before considering a new phone. Have you tried the self-help troubleshooting here:

Oddly enough there was a marked difference between the two older phones. There must have be something wrong with my current phone. Only thing I can think of.

I finally found the coverage maps for CDMA and GSM, and indeed I should definitely use CDMA. Oddly enough I saw where I should be getting phone and text coverage on largely my entire driving route but I do not at all with my current phone. So I guess there IS something wrong with it.

Nonetheless, you answered my question. I do need a new phone, as I need more space, but it’s good to know the G3 ought to work in my area and I can keep the refund plan for now. If I find the G3 for some reason won’t let me make phone calls along my route, which based on CDMA map I should be able to, then I’ll be in touch with the help desk :slight_smile:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.