Setting up Extend Home when my router is not near my home phones

@rolandh, @seanr,
Browsed the manual. Thanks.

One config challenge for me will be that my landline is in the kitchen (base unit with cordless phone), along with a second cordless phone “satellite” in the family room. My internet connection/router is in the living room, as that location is relatively central to the house. So, I’d need to move the phone base out of the kitchen, or get a Cat5 cable into the kitchen - near the phone. Not sure either is a good solution. For testing, I can run a cable from the LR into the kitchen.

Second concern is that this is only one line (801). We have two RW accounts in this household, so one of us loses out.

cheers

Do you have a phone RJ-11 port anywhere near the router? You could plug in to that and then the adapter would work from any other telephone jack. Essentially you could put the base anywhere. It is what I did in my house.

In the future, you could use a 2 line phone and then have 2 adapters to plug in. Then extend both lines. The 2 line phone would be needed since you would want to know which line is calling and call from either line. There is not a technical solution for us with this kind of requirement. At some point, we could offer a 2 line adapter but we would have to have a lot of interest in this since it would cost more and would make the offer more complex.

1 Like

If those RJ-11 jacks are wired to a traditional landline, this might a bad idea. Generally, one would need to disconnect those from the wireline to avoid frying the ATA.

I don’t want to move the base because it has a phone with it. Moving the base means I lose the kitchen phone.

Yes, there is a RJ right next to the router… I can put a spare phone on the unit in the LR, but only that will ring. I want to be able to answer the phone in the FR, so I need to connect the base from my cordless setup.

Maybe I’m missing something?

In theory, if you plug the ATA into a standard phone wall jack (RJ-11) rather than your cordless base, any phone plugged into another standard wall jack elsewhere in the house will ring. There’s an important consideration, however, and that is whether there’s an electrical charge on those wall jacks. Traditional landlines include an electric charge. That’s how they stay up and running during a power failure. Who is you landline provider?

Ok, so the unit acts Ike a phone when I plug it in?

Verizon

Essentially, yes.

Do you know if your Verizon service is traditional copper based service from Verizon’s central office? Or, is it attached to an Internet bundle? If the latter, FiOS, DSL? Finally, does your landline remain up during power failures without Verizon having provided any kind of battery backup?

I’m also going to ask @southpaw to branch this portion of the conversation as it’s getting into technicalities not needed in a welcome thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

POTS, so copper.

If I can plug the unit into the phone jack in my LR, and all my phones ring, I’m golden.

I’d want 100% assurance that no damage would occur to either the device or my home phone wiring before proceeding. Otherwise, I can test with a temporary cat5 cable hookup for feedback during beta.

Message an
Expert customer