Setting up the Extend Home Phone when the router is not near the phone jacks

I have a 2-line home phone system. Presently my land line connects to line 1 and my cell (via BT to my X-Link adapter) to line 2. Am I correct in assuming my land line will remain connected to line 1 and the Extend home will connect to line-2. Instead of my cell being connected via BT my cell number will be connected to line 2 by RW via the internet via the Extend Home gadget. Is this correct?

You are correct, sir. Just run an Ethernet cable from your router to the Extend Home ATA, then run a standard telephone cable from the ATA to line 2 on your phone.

FYI, since you were involved, RingTo worked similarly with Obihai ATA’s. Republic’s Extend Home offering is using Grandstream’s HT801 rather than an Obihai device.

The absence of WiFi is going to create a hassle for me. I’ll need either a 20’ Ethernet cable or a 20’ phone cable because my immovable home phone system is 20 wire-feet from my immovable router. It’s a good thing I have a 4-port hub in my junk drawer because all the ports on my router are in use.

I haven’t looked at the HT801 extensively but believe it to be a pretty basic ATA without a lot of bells and whistles. Obihai has a WiFi adapter but I don’t believe it works with devices other than their own.

Perhaps, a travel router connected to your WiFi network or Powerline adapters would solve the Ethernet conundrum? This is not aimed at you specifically, however, it might be better to discuss these technical details in dedicated threads.

From what I understand so far the connection hassle I just described will impact other potential customers. I’m at my SO’s condo right now. Her home phone system is about 15’ from her router but there s no way to run a cable along the path between them. Neither of her devices are movable either.

Plug into any phone plug in the wall will light all of them up. I did that and I keep my router in my closet. I put the ATA by the router then plugged it into the phone network from there and then plugged the phone into the jack in my kitchen.

1 Like

Do you have line voltage on your wall jacks? If so, the ATA survived plugging into those wall jacks? @billg mentions an existing landline.

Hi @rolandh,

I have my ATA plugged in as Sean is describing, and yes, the wall jacks have voltage - they power the lights on the phone. I believe @beng has his set up this way, as well.

I do not have a live analog phone service so no pre-exsisting voltage on mine. The other option was to plug it into my Orbi extender that has a 4 port switch all would work. Almost years of Vonage, Ooma and others this should not be too much of an issue.

I prefer this over Bluetooth with WiFi since that is a lot of introduced interference and latency. Plugging in direct to router is a call quality plus.

My understanding is if traditional analog landline service is active on the wall jacks plugging an ATA into those wall jacks risks frying the ATA itself. At least, that’s what my VoIP geek friends have always told me. For others reading, I’m not referring to “landline” services provided by cable or services such as FiOS or Uverse as those are another form of VoIP.

I agree plugging into a WiFi extender of some sort is a viable alternative if location of the main router is inconvenient.

I wholeheartedly agree a wired connection is superior.

The phone jack near my Router is where my DSL Modem connects. The DSL noise filter is in my utility room where my land line comes into the house. This is on the first pair in my phone wiring. I’m not home now but as I recall the second pair in my phone line, normally used to power land line phone lights, is unused. It will take a jerry-rig on both ends to use this pair.

For someone like you experienced with these things, that should indeed do the trick.

I’m set up the same way as Sean. Modem, Router, and ATA in closet with ATA connected to phone line that feeds the house and then phone connected to jack in the kitchen. My phone line is only utilizing 1 pair so there’s no voltage concern.

1 Like

Here are a couple of tips that might come in handy when setting this up:

1. Not all phone cables have 4 wires. If you look into the clear plastic plug you can see if two or four wires are connected. If two, that is line 1. Homes with 1 land line will be using this pair.

2. If you see 4 wires you can probably see their colors too. The green and red wires are line 1, the black and yellow wires are line 2.

3. Look around where the phone wiring comes into your home. If you find an ac adapter plugged in that has wires connecting your phone wires it will be connected to Line 2 and used to light the dial on touch-tone phones. If you want to use the line 2 wires for this test be sure to unplug that adapter.

My experience mirrors yours and having no dial tone doesn’t indicate a lack of voltage. While not permanently damaged my Obihai 110 would not work as long as their was voltage on the line. Once I disconnected the copper at the demarc, it started working properly.

I was very excited about this idea but alas, the only copper line that may work goes to my son’s bedroom.

Oh, well. Someone has to test it with a WiFi to Ethernet adapter. :grin:

2 Likes

I have tested at home with a Wi-Fi extender. I have Orbi. The Wi-Fi extender that has a four port switch on it I just plug in the ATA to it, and then plugged in my phone pretty simple works great.

1 Like

This makes a great argument for building WiFi into the device. I’m afraid a lot of potential customers are going to be lost without it, You could also see a lot of units returned.

Republic isn’t building the device. Republic is using an off the shelf ATA (Grandstream’s HT-801). There are ATAs in the market with WiFi capability, however, using one would be more expensive.

Edited to Add:

Actually, while I presume there might be an ATA with onboard WiFi, they’re certainly not easy to find. I own both an OBi 200 and OBi 202. Neither has onboard WiFi, though Obihai does offer a WiFi dongle for an additional $25 or so on top of the cost of the ATA. My OBi 1062 IP Phone does have onboard WiFi but IP Phones are both considerably more expensive and more complex to support.

4 Likes

The “average user” wants simple and cheap. If it’s a bit complex, requires additional hardware, wires, apps, etc., they will shy away.

Some of the solutions are clearly viable, but require “something else.” I’m struggling with the value proposition vs. just putting my phone next to my chair.

That’s why we test!

Message an
Expert customer