Should I get a new sim when moving from S7 Edge to S10?

I just moved from the S7 to the S10, which I bought from Samsung directly. I simply took the old sim and put it in and everything seems fine.

However, I got the 10e for my son, from RW. It came with a new sim.

I “guess” he should use the new SIM.

But is there any reason for me to get a new SIM for my S10 if things seem to be functioning???

Hi @eleanorw and welcome back to the Member Community.

It depends…on the type of SIM card you have! This will answer the question “Is It Okay to Swap SIM Cards Between Phones?

There is a link in the document on “How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA

New phones purchased directly from RW may come with a new SIM installed so all you have to do is turn it on and follow the prompts to activate the phone. Not sure what you mean by “guess” he should use new SIM. If the phone activated properly on the RW system it already has a SIM installed with no need to change anything.

If you will share your zip code, only the zip code, we can see if GSM or CDMA will provide the best coverage in your area.

Suspect you have a GSM SIM and moving it from the S7 to S10 will be fine. But the checks listed above will help confirm this.

Hope this helps!

Yes, the new phone is on GSM. The Zip code is 10562.

A quick check of the Rootmetrics coverage map shows that GSM should probably give you the best coverage. If both phones are on GSM you should be good to go.

1 Like

Great. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer