Shrinking coverage

What phone do you have? Moto G 6 Play

What plan are you on? My Voice +1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data

Issue Description

I’ve been a satisfied RW customer for 7 or 8 years. I appreciate the value of the service and like to support the business but I’m having increasing problems with shrinking coverage. There are large areas around my home (including inside my house) where I have no service though it hasn’t always been this way. My husband has a plan with Verizon so I know there are other options with good coverage. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for me before I look for a new plan?

Hi @julietbowers!

Welcome to the community!

I’m sorry to hear about the coverage issues you are experiencing! It looks like you have a Moto G6 Play phone. Is that correct? Which phone did you have prior to the G6?

When (approximately) did you start noticing a drop-off in coverage? Would you mind providing me with your zip code?

I realize that those are a lot of questions, but they will allow me (and others) to help you better :slight_smile: .

Hi @julietbowers,

There is an additional piece of information that would help us best help you. May we know the SIM type in your Moto G6 Play. Here’s how to tell us:

I previously had a Moto X before my G6 Play. I lost coverage in my house several years ago though that doesn’t worry me too much because I always use wifi and it was never very robust service to begin with. I started noticing the other issues more than a year ago. My zip code is 22903. My SIM type is GSM.

Hi @julietbowers!

Thank you for your reply!

Do you remember when you bought the Moto G6 Play?

August 2018, I believe.

Hi @julietbowers,

Candidly, I’m surprised GSM coverage ever worked well for you. According to Republic’s GSM partner’s (T-Mobile) map, coverage is fair. Here’s the GSM partner’s definition of fair: “Cell coverage outdoors and occasionally indoors”. In my experience indoors includes a vehicle.

Republic has another coverage option for you via it’s CDMA network partner (Sprint) whose coverage would be much better. Here’s how to make the request for a switch in coverage:

Additionally, would you mind if I were to send you some additional information via direct message?

1 Like

This is interesting because I assumed that I had Sprint coverage, which was certainly true when I had my Moto X. Perhaps this is the entire problem, when I switched phones I lost coverage. Thank you for this info. I will request a switch. You are welcome to DM me.

Just a final follow up for anyone following along. The new SIM card worked like a charm and I now have much better coverage. I’m planning to buy my kids first phones in the fall and I’m hoping I can specify which type of card I want. Many thanks for excellent community help.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for coming back and reporting to the community the improvement. It is really helpful as the community works to help others to know what did and didn’t work!

Hi @julietbowers,

Your follow-up is really appreciated!

As things stand now, you can’t specify the type of SIM card when you order, but as soon as you place the order just send another E-mail to our coverage team and they’ll check the order and send you the right SIM cards if the online store didn’t do so.

Just maybe check in with us first here and make sure the phones you’re ordering can take both kinds of SIM cards. Sometimes we have phones that can take only one kind.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer