SIM Card Errors on 1.0 and 2.0 Phones

On May 25th, we started receiving reports of 1.0 and 2.0 phones showing a SIM error upon startup. After working with our partners to investigate and identify the root cause, it was determined that the errors were introduced by an update to the Google app around the time of May 25th.

This error should only appear after the phone powers on and is connected to a Bluetooth device. It can be dismissed and is purely cosmetic. Additionally, this error should not affect the functionality of your phone or service. Please only open a help ticket if you’re experiencing issues aside from the notification. We appreciate your patience while we continue to work with our partners for a resolution to this issue.

Phones impacted:

• Motorola X 1st Generation
  • Motorola X 2nd Generation
  • Motorola G 3rd Generation
  • Motorola E 2nd Generation

SIM card error on every restart
Sim card error
Phone performance is getting worse
Volume button won't increase

.[quote=“beng, post:1, topic:10077”]
it was determined that the errors were introduced by an update to the Google app around the time of May 25th.

This error should only appear after the phone powers on and is connected to a Bluetooth device. It can be dismissed and is purely cosmetic.
[/quote]

Google Android app or other?

Please explain in more detail. Only if WiFi left on when powered off/on? Thanks.

Someone in the community recently insisted it was a Google update that caused the error. Going to try and find the post, but it is a long thread, and I don’t recall the member’s name.

If you open a 1.0/2.0 phone to Settings > Apps and scroll down, the app whose update kicked off this issue is named simply, “Google”.

Wi-Fi will be turned on when the phone reboots if it was turned off when the phone was powered down. It’s not really relevant, but trying it a few times, it does appear that if the phone has to activate Wi-Fi at boot, it does not trigger the notification.

What matters is that folks who do see the error understand that it’s a false positive, so other than being a nuisance that you must dismiss the notification once in a while, there is no real impact; and since we are not able to implement a fix, there is no need to open a support ticket.

Sorry meant to be asking about when/if the Bluetooth left on… Does it stay on when powered back up?

IOW does turning off BT or simply turning off the BT device prior to reboot prevent this problem? Thanks.

If you turn off Bluetooth, you will not see the error.

If Bluetooth is on, whether or not you will see the error will depend on the apps on your phone and how they connect to their Bluetooth devices.

For example, my phone is paired to a Fitbit. Right now, it and the Fitbit are 18 miles apart, because I forgot to wear the Fitbit today. :blush: On the phone, Bluetooth is on. If I have the Fitbit app set to “Always connect” I get the notification every time I reboot. If Ieave everything else as is - the pairing, Bluetooth on, but just turn off “Always connect,” I do not see the notification at reboot.

So there is going to be some variety based on how the apps on the phone make use of Bluetooth.

I rarely turn on Bluetooth, yet I sometimes get an invalid sim message after rebooting. As stated, I have never seen it affect functionality.

When I uninstalled All Google updates the error message went away completely. When I re-installed Google updates the error message came back almost immediately.

I doubt that a May update is the cause of this problem. I have been seeing it intermittently for years. But I just ignore it and have seen no ill effects as a result.

(moto x, 1st gen)

You reference a Moto X1 and indeed I concur that phone has been more prone to phantom SIM card errors than other legacy phones based on anecdotal reports in Community. What’s new with this particular instance (and that is apparently tied to an update) is the presentation of phantom error messages on additional 1.0/2.0 phones.

I’ve had the additional, recent problem of my phone freezing at a particular moment in time and I can’t do anything with it except hold down the power button until it reboots. It’s sporadic but continues to happen requiring a power off and reboot. The SIM card message always pops up afterwards. Is there a connection?

perfect. I have been getting this on my old phone ever since my wife got her new phone. I thought maybe they had confused the two. sounds like just a timing coincidence. literally she got her phone i think on May 23, and this was begun on May 25. too funny.

thanks RW for an easy place to look up issues, and see what’s going on!

yes, it DID take me until July 14th to finally check it out. lol.

Are we able to update to the new version of Google yet?