SIM card in unsupported phone

I hav moved my SIM card to a phone that Republic doesn’t support. I have received a phone call on that phone. Is that normal?

Hi @pipert and welcome to the Community!

As you’ve discovered moving an already active Republic SIM will sometimes seem to work. Despite the ability to receive calls, you may find calls they receive from you show the wrong number as Caller ID. You may also run into issues with text messaging. Also, there’s no guarantee anything that’s working now will continue to work.

Finally, I feel obligated to tell you using a Republic SIM in an unsupported phone is a violation of Republic’s terms of service. At some point in the future, Republic may politely ask you to stop if you don’t do so of your own accord.

1 Like

Thank you. I didn’t mean to do this. I was sent the wrong phone and am trying to get one that is supported by Republic. I was confused as to why the phone actually worked.

Piper Thomas

2 Likes

Hi @pipert,

There’s no need to apologize.

Not supported and won’t work aren’t always exactly the same thing. There’s also the question as to what degree something that’s not supported actually works. Republic wants you like it wants all members (Republic likes to call customers members) to have the best possible experience. For that, one needs a supported phone.

Out of curiosity, if you don’t mind sharing, what is the brand, model and generation of the phone in question?

It’s a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that the model number is just one digit off from the one that is supported by Republic. I ordered the phone from a site and they sent me the wrong one. Now I’m trying to get my money back and trying to find a Note 9 that IS the correct model number.

1 Like

Here is a link to an article by @louisdi that provides a magic decoder ring for some of the confusion that manufactures and sellers create in their naming conventions

• If you find a ‘supported’ phone that you want to purchase, but are still a bit unsure … you can always … post the link to the seller and someone in the community can help you double check
1 Like

This helps. Thank you. I ordered correctly but they sent me the wrong model. It’s been a 2 month long process. I’m ready to give up but I spent too much on a phone I cannot use at this point.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer