Sim Card sent via UPS, USPS or Fed Ex?

I live were they don’t deliver USPS to my residence so I have a Post Office box. I need to know how RW will send my BYOP sim card so I can put the correct address. USPS, UPS, or Fed Ex? Thank you.

Never mind, I figured it out…USPS.

Hi @tonyp.dzqirh and welcome to the Community!

You are correct that Republic’s least expensive shipping option for SIMs is via USPS First Class Mail. Of course, generally, the USPS would deliver First Class Mail to a P.O. Box. That said, Republic’s documentation states that Republic cannot ship to a P.O. Box as noted here:

Despite that; did Republic’s online store accept your P.O. Box for shipping a SIM?

More to the point, Republic offers multiple coverage options for its newer compatible phones. Particularly, if you’re in a rural area, the SIM available for public sale at Republic’s online store may not provide the best coverage experience, For more insight and if you’re comfortable sharing it, might we trouble you for a zip code (nothing more)?

Republic’s Online store accepted my address, on the “street address” line I also included my zip code followed by my box number without using the words “PO Box.” Zip code is 80482.

Hi @tonyp.dzqirh,

Please allow me to provide some insight regarding Republic’s coverage options. Republic provisions cellular coverage with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. Republic’s other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint. Cellular coverage is provisioned with one partner or the other not both simultaneously.

Candidly, according to coverage maps, neither of Republic’s partners offer particularly robust coverage in and around the referenced zip code. That said, on balance, the maps do suggest CDMA (Sprint network) coverage would be better than GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage.

For technical reasons, Republic does not make its CDMA SIM available for public sale. The SIM you purchased at Republic’s online store will provide GSM (T-Mobile network) coverage. It is possible to acquire a Republic CDMA SIM and the how to on that follows:

If you’ll indulge an additional question, do you already have a Republic activated phone in the household? If so, it would be able to guide us on the SIM (GSM or CDMA) that would provide the best coverage experience for you.

1 Like

I currently have a Moto G 3rd gen that I have been using with RW for over four years at zip code 80482.

Hi @tonyp.dzqirh,

Thank you for the additional context, which confirms my supposition that CDMA rather than GSM would be the better SIM choice for you. Your Moto G3 like all older legacy Republic phones is provisioned for CDMA (Sprint network) coverage. The GSM SIM you ordered would activate a newer Republic compatible phone but, again according to the coverage maps, won’t provide nearly as good a coverage experience as a CDMA SIM would. Since it’s already ordered, you might go ahead and use the GSM SIM to activate your new phone, then if as I expect you find GSM coverage lacking go ahead and request the CDMA SIM as outlined in the previously referenced Help Center article.

Also, in the interest of candor, are you aware a newer Republic compatible phone means giving up the grandfathered plan used with your Moto G3? Information on the plans required for use with newer compatible phones is linked here:

Lastly, out of curiosity, which phone are you upgrading to?

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. There are a couple of reasons I am giving up the 2.0 refund plan and moving to the My Choice plan. First, my phone is old and running Android Lollipop so I’m worried about not getting security updates. Second, I am receiving the 50% educator discount which expires at the end of July. Once I get my new phone activated I will purchase the annual payment option with my 50% educator discount before it goes away. Third, I have only 8gb of internal storage, that’s not much!
I ordered a Moto G Stylus with 128gb internal storage.

4 Likes

Instead of getting the GSM card and then paying more money later to get a GDMA card is there a way to change my order and have them send me a CDMA sim card?

Hi @tonyp.dzqirh,

I’m afraid not as once an order is placed, unless an item is backordered Republic does not have the ability to alter an order nor for previously mentioned technical reasons is the CDMA SIM sold publicly. The only way to acquire a Republic CDMA SIM is via the process in the Help Center article previously posted. If you wish, you could open a ticket and ask to return the unopened GSM SIM for a refund. For what it’s worth, when sending a CDMA SIM to improve coverage, I’ve yet to see Republic charge for it.

Some additional Help Center articles of potential interest:

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the information.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer