SIM Swapping advice?

With the multitude of wonderful MVNO offerings with “free trial” available, how practical would it be to order a dozen different ones and swap out the SIM cards to see which service works best on my phone in my area?

I got a $3.00 or so SIM from T-Mobile and used it to switch between native T-Mobile and T-Mobile via RW when I was working on a band 12 problem. The first insertion involved downloading a T-Mobile app but after that switching between the T-Mobile SIM and the RW SIM was just a matter of swapping them,

There are only 3 networks. I’m not sure you need a dozen SIMs to understand what works and doesn’t in your area.

2 Likes

Thanks louisdi. In addition to signal strength and speed, I was thinking about data prioritization and throttling on MVNOs that use the 3 majors. Do AT&T, Verizon, T-mo give the same service to all of their respective MVNOs? In reading some of the online reviews of MVNOs, there seems to be a lot of opinion variation, anecdotes, ad claims, etc. Just wondering how much trouble it would be to try out a dozen MVNOs and see for myself.

Not necessarily, but largely, other than on Verizon, you’ll find very little difference based on prioritization with AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon on the other hand does pretty drastic network management and I’ve found basically all their MVNOs (the worst of which was the one they own, Visible) to have unacceptable data speeds/reliability in any congested areas.

On the other hand, with multiple AT&T and T-Mobile MVNOs, I’ve seen little to no difference in performance.

1 Like

It’s for you to decide how much trouble it is and whether it’s worth it. There’s no issue per se with activating and swapping multiple SIMs in and out of an unlocked phone. If, however, the goal is to find a provider that supports WiFi calling on your current phone, you would likely be wasting your time evaluating providers using AT&T’s network. The experience won’t be any different than Republic 5.0.

1 Like