SIP and Republic Wireless

I’m setting up a SIP server for my home, and I am wondering a few things:

• Does Republic Wireless publish E.164 address for phone numbers anywhere?
  • Can RW phone numbers be contacted directly through SIP addresses?
  • Does RW remove SIP native calling options from their Android ROMs? It’s been available since Android 6/Marshmallow, but I don’t see it in my phone app settings Android 9 Pie.

Hi @iii and welcome to the Community!

While Republic does indeed use SIP for the WiFi portion of its blended WiFi/cell service, the answers to your questions are as follows:

No

No

No, however, individual manufacturers sometimes remove or hide the feature. What is the brand, model and generation of the phone in question?

For the record, for newer compatible phones (August of 2016 and later), there are no Republic specific ROMs. Any Republic compatible phone running Android 6 or later is using the manufacturer’s factory unlocked ROM.

2 Likes

No, however, individual manufacturers sometimes remove or hide the feature. What is the brand, model and generation of the phone in question?

It’s a Moto G6 Play. A search on other forums seems to show that Lenovo (and other companies) disable the Android SIP stack on their phones.

Thanks for the answers!

2 Likes

Hi @iii,

You might want to try the following:

1. Download Galaxy SIP Accounts to your Moto G6 Play:

I understand it’s ostensibly for Samsung Galaxy phones, humor me, please.

1. Open Galaxy SIP accounts
  2. Tap the gray SIP Accounts bar
  3. Do you now see Motorola’s SIP accounts settings pane?
  4. If so, tap + to the upper right to enter and save SIP account details
2 Likes

That does enable the option fory phone, and I was able to make a test call to my Asterisk server. Thanks!

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer