Six months of free service?

Does the free service apply to existing customers?
Republic Wireless celebrates its new independence with six months of free service - The Verge

It sound like a special promotion (not a contest) for those phones (Moto Z Play or Huawei Ascend) sold on those dates so if you buy one for a current line it will have the “Free” service who knows how many of those phone republic will have in stock (6 months of 1 GB service is about $120 so it would be like getting the Moto Z Play for $220 or the Ascend for $10)

Huawei Ascend
looks like at least one more phone will be added before the end of the year

Good morning @richarda.20wdtm!

Republic has not made any official announcements yet (other than splitting off). Stay tuned to the community and Republic’s social channels for further updates!

mb2x

Republic Wireless celebrates its new independence with six months of free service - The Verge

“While plans have always been low cost, starting at just $5, Republic is launching two special offers this month to discount phones and provide six months of free service. Republic is offering the Moto Z Play for $349 between December 7th and 12th, and the Huawei Ascend 5W for $129 between December 13th and 19th. Both handsets will come with a contract-free six months of free service with unlimited calls and texts, and 1GB of data.”

Humm, purchased my own ‘new moto x’ on the new 1gb plan. Do I get anything?

Hi @sambeckett!

Stay tuned right here to the community and to Republic’s social channels for further updates!

mb2x

“Hey Richard! Yes, the free service is an option for both our existing members and new members. All you’d need to do is purchase either a Moto Z PLAY between 12/7-12/12 or a Huawei Ascend 5W between 12/13-12/19, and then activate it before 12/29. Pretty awesome, right?!”

(Republic Wireless, Does the free service apply to existing… | Facebook)

I can’t find anything about the Huawei Ascend 5W on the website. Is this a new option?

it’s a yet announce upcoming phone

I’ve never used RW before, but came across the article mentioned from the other website. I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions about the phones being sold from RW in this upcoming promo?

For example, are the locked to RW? If so, is there a way to unlock them? I remember in the past RW phones were permanently ‘stuck’ to RW and could only be used on RW, and nothing else. I really didn’t like the inflexibility, which is why I never tried RW. Now I see they have both sprint and gsm (I guess tmobile?) services, so maybe this changed?

Are the bootloaders unlocked on these phones? If so, is there a way to unlock them? I’m heavily into installing custom 3rd party roms, so this is a must for me.

I’ve never used RW before, but came across the article mentioned from the other website. I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions about the phones being sold from RW in this upcoming promo?

All newer 3.0 phones which are currently advertised as using/sold RW’s GSM or approved as BYOP should be unlocked, no need to unlock if transferred to another carrier if they support the said phone.

No experience installing custom 3rd party roms but would assume the same at your own risk as with otherunlocked phones/carriers.

Good Morning @ee.2hvpvm,

Unlike legacy Republic phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2), phones qualified for Republic’s 3.0 platform are North American factory unlocked variants. They will work with any compatible service provider willing to activate them.

Whether the bootloaders are unlocked or available means to unlock them exist is a different question and entirely up to the manufacturer not Republic. Regarding installation of custom ROMs, Republic doesn’t explicitly forbid this. Likewise as @williamo.vkbg0s observes, Republic will not provide support for use of custom ROMs. My understanding is Republic’s 3.0 app validates the firmware build present on the phone. If said firmware build is not on Republic’s list, the app will refuse to activate the phone. In spite of that understanding, I’ve seen reports in Community (with the Nexii) that some have successfully installed a custom ROM. This may have been done post activation. Ironically, the reason legacy Republic phones could be used only on Republic is because Republic itself was using a custom ROM.

Republic’s stance on user modification is here and hasn’t changed with 3.0: Rooting and User Modification. Everything one would want to know about Republic 3.0 here: Republic Wireless 3.0 FAQs.

ok, well according to this What devices are supported by the Bootloader Unlock program? it appears the z play is able to be unlocked. Honestly I don’t like carrier bloat very much. It’s why I usually buy nexus devices, but I thought I might give RW a try since I saw this promo. Or in worst case scenario, what if I got the z play, unlocked it, installed a custom rom, and it didn’t work with RW anymore? Could I use the phone with another carrier? this info is probably in the faq, that I’ll have to read later. It is hard to shake the thought of the old RW method, of completely locking down their phones and never allowing them to be used with any other company.

Sounds like a promotion to sell phones and get more customers. Certainly not a celebration of all the long-time customers that have been here all along. OTOH, Republic advertising on Breitbart News

Honestly I don’t like carrier bloat very much.

Then you will love us, we have 1 app and you will have to download it from the Play Store. We don’t like bloat either. The phone is factory unlocked so it/we will not be the hold-up there. Custom ROMs can be an issue if they interfere with our app or the APIs we need from Android.

thanks for the info

Hi, everyone. Our family has 3 RW phones on the 1.0 plan.

On Black Friday , I purchased 2 Moto G4s from Amazon. I haven’t opened them yet.

Then, this promotion comes up. I’m very tempted to return the Moto G4s and buy the Huawei phones.

But, I’d rather keep the Moto G4s if RW was going to expand the 6 months free to people who bring their own device.

Any possibility of this? I need to know an answer soon so I can return the Moto G4s if needed.

Thanks!

@wayloncovil

I doubt if RW will give 6 months to a customer that BYOP’s their own phone. How do they make money on that customer giving free service to a non-sale customer. The way this works is you buy the phone from RW and they comp the service for 6 months. Free service for no phone sale what a joke.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Bocephous,

I’m going to guess that RW doesn’t make any money off the phones with this promotion. They could in fact be losing money. They are buying customers with this promotion.

And, they probably want to get their legacy customers off the 1.0 and 2.0 plans because it’s easier to manage if everyone is on the same plan. They are hoping legacy customers upgrade because the offer is too good to resist.

For the miniscule dollar amount that they could be making off these phones, there’s not much difference in buying their phones vs bringing your own. They want the recurring monthly fee after the promotion period.

Eventually, customers on 1.0 and 2.0 plans will be forced to upgrade because their phones will no longer work. When the number of users on these plans get small enough, you’ll see promotions to move these people to the 3.0 plans.

By the way, your last sentence could be interpreted as being insulating. I asked an honest question. There’s no need to suggest my question was stupid. There’s lots of reasons why RW might want to do what I suggested.

I was wondering, can you confirm if the moto z play sold through RW is the ‘global’ version? I am curious specifically for this reason What devices are supported by the Bootloader Unlock program?

Message an
Expert customer