Slow to respond Samsung Galaxy Touchscreen

We just got a new Samsung Galaxy 7. It’s screen is slow or sometimes not responsive. You have to press hard to get it to respond. What to do? Return it?

0 Likes

Moto E4 screen unresponsive

Try this. Give it a quick tap and then see if it eventually responds. If it does a runaway app might be causing it to run slowly.

0 Likes

It doesn’t respond with a quick tap. It doesn’t respond unless I hold it down.

0 Likes

Hi @peterl.gd0jkn!

Since trying what @billg suggested doesn’t affect the phone, It sound like it may be a hardware issue. I would recommend contacting Samsung support at 1-800-726-7864 for further assistance. The phone may need to be repaired/replaced. If you bought it new, it may be under warranty. Hope that helps! Happy Thanksgiving!

mb2x

0 Likes

It does sound like a hardware problem. Where did you get it? If from RW open a service ticket and ask for an exchange, otherwise you will have to deal with the company you bought it from. In any case, you will be asked to first try a factory reset.

0 Likes

We got it from RW about a month ago. My son’s phone–apparently he has had this problem since he got he phone. I just found out now. So I should open a ticket rather than calling Samsung or taking off the screensaver?

0 Likes

@peterl.gd0jkn

You could do either. However, as @billg suggested, opening a Republic ticket may end up being faster. However, if you call Samsung, you will probably end up getting a replacement phone as well (it will be a refurbished unit though). It’s up to you!

mb2x

0 Likes

There are a couple of things I’d try before contacting RW support. The first is Safe Mode.

1. Power the phone off.
  2. Once the phone is off and all lights are emitting, press and hold the “Power” button to turn the S7 back on.
  3. When the Galaxy logo appears on the screen, press and hold the “Volume Down” button.
  4. Continue to hold the “Volume Down” button until the phone completely boots. You will see the words “Safe Mode” appear in the lower left corner of the screen if you performed the steps properly.
    If the problem goes away in Safe Mode you know it is caused by an app he installed. If not, factory reset the phone.

Finally, if the problem persists after factory resetting the phone open a service ticket with RW and explain that to them. They might swap it, they might send you to Samsung.

If you get sent to Samsung they will insist on repairing it, not exchanging it. Their turn-around time is 10 or more days.

Please come back and tell us how this turns out.

Bill

0 Likes

Sorry. This is an S6, not S7. Same instructions?

0 Likes

Just a minute. I’ll check. I just finished booting my S7 in Safe Mode. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Image result for samsung s6 safe mode

To boot Samsung Galaxy S6 into safe mode, you may follow these steps:

1. Step 1: Power off the phone. …
  2. Step 2: Wait one or two minutes. …
  3. Step 3: Press and hold volume down button AND the power button. …
  4. Step 4: Hold the volume down button until you get the lock screen. …
  5. Step 5: Unlock Galaxy S6.
0 Likes

Ok, he’s trying. What to do after step 5?

0 Likes

The problem is still there. How do you factory reset the phone? Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi @peterl.gd0jkn,

Sorry for the need to resort to a factory reset. Guidance here: Factory Reset.

0 Likes

Hi @peterl.gd0jkn

You can factory reset by going to Settings, “Backup and Reset” (under “Personal” tab), and then “Factory Data Reset.” Make sure he has all his photos and other important data backed up! Hope that helps!

mb2x

0 Likes

Thanks for your help, everyone. I’m going to try submitting a ticket now.

0 Likes

Be sure to tell support that this problem survived a factory reset. Please come back and let us know how this turns out.

0 Likes

We didn’t do the reset. My son didn’t want to try the reset because the phone didn’t work from the start and it seemed a hassle to save all his stuff. But maybe they will want to do that first?

0 Likes

Yes, a factory reset will be required before they will exchange the phone.

0 Likes

Hi-- It’s been a long time since I first wrote. We did a factory reset on the phone, but it’s still slow. We also lots information because didn’t do a correct kind of backup of apps. We have a ticket and all. Will we now get a new phone? What usually happens? Thanks, Peter

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer