SMS Texting when off of WiFy

I have a Moto Gen 4 Phone. When I am away from home I do not have access to WiFy. I have tried to send a SMS text message with data on with no luck. I made sure the phone number I am sending to is a 10 digit # and I made sure that Google was my default. Please instruct what else I should do in order to send & receive a SMS text message. I have been able to send and receive text messages at home while using WiFy. HELP!!!

Please review Troubleshooting Texting Issues . In particular, you probably want to make sure that the Google Messenger app is installed and set as the default messaging app, and that you have the correct Network Settings .

Yes, I have already done all of the recommended.

If you are positive that you have checked all of those things then submit a Republic Help request. Many people overlook the following, however:

Ensure That Cellular Data and Data Roaming is Enabled

1. Tap Apps.
    Note: For the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, swipe up from the bottom of your home screen to open the app drawer.

2. Tap Settings.

3. Tap Data usage.

4. Ensure that Cellular data is enabled (slider should be to the right).

5. Tap the three vertical dots at the top right of the screen.

6. Ensure that the first option says Restrict background data. If not, tap Allow background data.
    Note: Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, and 6P phones will not have the Restrict background data option.

7. Tap the three vertical dots at the top right of the screen again.

8. Tap Cellular networks.

9. Ensure that Data roaming is enabled (slider should be to the right).
    Note: Although roaming cell data is only available on Republic 2.0 plans, the Data roaming setting must be enabled to ensure that your phone functions properly.

AHA!!! I did not have the “Restrict Data” on!

Ok so when I arrive home & I want to use WiFy what do I need to do in order to reserve my data package? Sorry I am not a teckie…

When you are home and connected to Wi-Fi you shouldn’t have to do anything. The phone should use little to no cellular data while you are connected to Wi-Fi. You might want to review Optimize Apps for WiFi to minimize your overall cellular use, however.

So I will not have to physically turn my data package off when home?

I never have (in the 7+ years I’ve had an Android phone). That sounds like a big pain to remember to do everytime you enter and leave the house.

Message an
Expert customer