Some Interesting Research Involving Smartphone Use

I do not wish to clutter the main Relay topic, however, I think this should be thought provoking:

While the article talks simply about screen time another hazard that isn’t really covered is the feeling of needing instant validation. With the many social media platforms and the “likes,” some kids get upset when they post something and don’t get the attention they feel that they deserve. Then they start judging themselves and their friendships off of this validation.

Unfortunately, those “likes” don’t mean anything, and as the article states, actual human interaction is what is so very meaningful. It’s sad when we see a room full of teens, and instead of talking to one another they are all looking at their phones.

There is something almost addicting to social media. Seeing what others are doing, etc, but we need to remind out kids that those little squares (photos) they are seeing are only a picture. They are not another person’s life. There is so much more going on than what is posted on those social media sites, and most of what is posted is the positive side, making it look like the poster has such a gifted life.

Personally, I don’t see screen time being limited much, at least in any near future, but we can all be present with our kids and remember to talk to them about the importance of what is real vs what is seen as real. We adults need to remember that’s its easy for us to be sucked in by the little screen as well, and doing that won’t help our kids either.

No real research or background in my thoughts, other than having 3 kids who have safely made it through their teen years and are very well grounded. Yes, they do spend plenty of time in front of their devices, but they also spend an equal, or greater, amount of time interacting with others and have learned that social media is not all it’s cracked up to be.

In recent weeks, some of the executives who took part in the early development of both smartphones and social media have admitted that they intentionally developed this technology with the intent of being addictive in order to grow the product. Now, they are admitting that, in some ways, they are destroying the fabric of American society. The vast majority of users will not have received that information and will continue to incur the ill effect of these mediums. There is too much political conflict in Washington, D.C. for our elected leaders to address these issues, and the industry will do little on their own. There needs to be more research and education on these issues, before it’s too late.

Now, where did I put that Xanax… lol (jus kidden)

Which does fall partly in a parents lap. We can’t expect our teachers, politicians, pediatricians, etc to take care of this. It needs to start in the home.

And it’s not phone specific screen time is screen time.

Too much small screen time likely isn’t particularly good for a viewers visual acuity.

:flight_departure: