Starting a new account for a senior

I am helping a senior with a new phone. She currently has an iphone with Verizon. She is willing to change to a Moto G Power and hopes it will last about 5 years. She wants to keep the same phone number.

I am wondering if it would be better to buy it from RW for $20 more than buying it at Best Buy. Since they will set it up. I would also need to transfer her stuff from the iphone to the Moto G Power.

Should I have her start an account with RW first, make sure she likes it before closing the Verizon account? Can we transfer her phone number after a few weeks? I mean overlap coverage to make sure it all works ok. I am just average on tech support for her.

What problems do you see me running into?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

As a first step, I suggest verifying the Verizon number would transfer to Republic, which may be done here: Switching to Republic?

If you decide to source at Best Buy, you would need to acquire a Republic SIM separately as Best Buy doesn’t sell Republic SIMs. As you may know, Republic offers multiple coverage options for its newer phones. To be certain we point you to the SIM with the best coverage, might we trouble you for your friend’s zip code (nothing more)?

This may help with that: Moving from iPhone to Android: An Overview.

This is an excellent idea! Your friend would have 14-days to cancel Republic service and return a phone if purchased from Republic, if things don’t work out. In any event, please do not close the Verizon account before transferring the number. Transferring the number would automatically close the Verizon account.

So long as it remains active (paid for) at Verizon, the number may be transferred at any time. Republic’s how to on that is linked here: How to Transfer Your Number to Republic Wireless – Republic Help.

None, however, if I’ve managed to miss a question, please feel free to follow-up.

2 Likes

Thank you! :grinning:
Her zip is 85142

Hi @dianeo.x8l6kz,

Please allow me to provide some context regarding Republic’s coverage options. Republic provisions cellular coverage with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. Republic’s other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint. T-Mobile and Sprint have merged, however, the networks remain separate. Cellular coverage is provisioned with one network or the other not both simultaneously.

In her area, she would want CDMA (Sprint network) coverage. For technical reasons, Republic does not make its CDMA SIM available for standalone sale. Here’s how to request one:

As there is phone specific information required, you would need to have the phone in hand prior to making the request.

Also if you are buying the phone at best buy make sure you get a North American factory unlocked version and not a carrier branded version.

At Best Buy, this isn’t an issue. Unlike Amazon and other vendors, I’ve not seen Best Buy sell international variants. If Best Buy sells it as unlocked, it’s the U.S. factory unlocked variant.

1 Like

I was more worried about the carrier variants.

So, they will send me a sim card that I will put in the new phone? Is there any charge for that?

Also, it looks like verizon will move the data from the iphone to the new Moto G Power. We will keep service with verizon until we can safely get all RW info straight. Will putting the sim card in the new phone mess up anything with her data and stuff that is loaded on it?

Yes, you or your friend would need to request the SIM.

In my experience, generally no, however, the decision is ultimately up to Republic. Should there be a charge, it wouldn’t be more expensive than buying the publicly available Republic bring your own SIM. Please don’t do that as the publicly available SIM won’t provide adequate coverage.

That’s very sporting of them. Are they aware the intent is to activate the new phone with Republic and not them?

Excellent!

No!

1 Like

I do not believe Best Buy sells a carrier branded variant of the Moto G Power either. At least, nothing comes up in a search there.

No carrier variant from Motorola directly either.

Message an
Expert customer