Still no rugged phones?

I have two phones and two relays, want to add two phones - but still no rugged phones either offered or on bring your own. Tried a moto z2 force, but its blocked.

Is there any way we can test phones and networks for you if you don’t have the staff. What bands are you using?

Have you considered the Moto X4 with IP68-rated water resistance… Mine has a CoverOn case with a Supershieldz screen protector which I’d consider a DIY rugged phone.

:flight_departure:

Hi @patrickm.fswvb6 and welcome to the Community!

Republic provisions phones for cellular coverage with one of two cellular network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. The other partner operates aCDMA network and is Sprint.

The above said, there’s more to Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service than verifying a particular phone is hardware compatible with one or both of Republic’s cellular network partners. Republic blends the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) network of its former corporate parent Bandwidth.com with one of the two aforementioned cellular network partners.

This blending of networks requires one of the carrier agnostic factory unlocked phones listed here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help. No phone not on the list will work with Republic.

I didn’t realize that one was IP68, does it have Gorilla Glass?

IP68 is pretty common these days, including the Galaxys, and basically all phones other than the very low-end use Gorilla Glass.

Whats the difference between the Active Galaxies and the regular ones then?

AFAIK Samsung hasn’t released a factory unlocked version of the Active versions. S8 active was an AT&T exclusive and the S9 Active came only in AT&T and T-Mobile versions. No factory unlocked version means it can’t be considered for Republic.

I actually use the Moto X4 with a semi-rugged case by Poetic ($20 from amazon) and have no trouble. I wouldn’t throw it against a wall but maybe pass your phones down to the people you want to get the rugged ones for but buy a good case for them. That way you get a new phone and the old phones are less at risk. Also, on a related note, I’ve found that using one of the new magnetic charging cables that you can put into your microusb or usb-c port helps a lot to avoid cord wear and also prevents having to change out the phone because the port is wrecked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer