Suddenly using more data

Ive had my phone for 6 years and for the first time, I got a message that I’m almost out of data on my plan. My usage hasn’t changed, and I haven’t added any new apps or changed any settings. What I did notice was that I’m now using Google voice to text for messaging. Or at least that’s what appears to me.

As of last week, I started seeing Google handling my messaging. Where before, I would just see the mic on the keyboard layout and tap that. There is also something called google now launcher that I didn’t install and I can’t remove.

I also noticed that even though I was at home using my wireless network, the phone was on the cell network. Normally, it just switches over as soon as I’m in range. I had to manually force it to fail over to my wireless network.

I’ve limited most apps access to almost everything I can like contacts and so forth. I’d like to get a handle on why I’m suddenly using so much more data.

a couple of quick question
What Phone? (given your join date(11/2013) it could be the beta phone Defy or the 1st Gen Moto X, or did you pick up another Republic phone in the last 6 years)
What Plan are you one (the 1st Gen Moto X has 2 plan options)

can you check what apps are eating the data (in the republic app where you can turn off data per app it should also tell you what is using data and how much)(this can also be seen in the setting data usage section

Hi - my phone is a Moto G. It looks like it was all Google apps and Android. There was one huge day of usage and then went back more to normal usage. I couldn’t see the exact day for the spike but it was around 10 days ago, around the time of the last update. I thought I had it set up to only update over wireless.

This evening the phone was so hat I could barely hold it. I reset it back to factory defaults.

Which Moto G? (there have been many version sold since 2013) (Moto G 1st Gen, Moto G 3rd Gen, Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, Moto G4 Play, Moto G5 Plus, Moto G5S Plus, Moto G6, Moto G6 Play, Moto G7, Moto G7 Play, and Moto G7 Power)

seeing as it was a 1 day event that consumed the data and it was around the time of an update (what type of update Apps? OS?) it’s possible you accidentally override-ed the update on WiFi or some glitch cause it to update on cell anyway, I would monitor it and see if it reoccurs

1 Like

It’s a Moto G 4th Gen. I’ve been looking through the settings and can’t find the switch to make sure it doesn’t update on cell, only wireless updates. I believe it was an OS update.

Do you know where wireless update setting is? Also, just a comment, the release notes are pretty useless. They say nothing at all.

In the Google Play Store tap the :menu: in the upper left and scroll down and tap setting option, the setting for App download preference and auto-update apps are what your looking for (there should be no more OS updates for the Moto G4)

I meant on my phone for the OS updates.

the Moto G4 should not be seeing any more OS updates (i don’t think there a setting when one did go though it should give a warring if you try and download an update over cell)

Alrighty-thanks so much for your help.

Message an
Expert customer