Swapping a Ebay Used Republic Wireless phone

I currently found out my Samsung J3 will not be fixed by Samsung even though it’s under warranty. Cold air cracked the display messing up the screen. I replaced it with an old Moto E Gen 1 and swapped numbers ok with it. Ok now I want to buy a used Moto G 4th Gen. The seller on eBay says it’s a Republic Wireless phone. Question: If it already has a sim card in it can I transfer my original account phone number from the Mote E to the Moto G4 and still keep my republic wireless phone number? Or do I need to buy a New sim card from Republic to be able to swap phones and still keep my number?

Or BTW: Just for anyone’s info. If your in a below zero climate and you use your phone outside and the display goes South Samsung will not cover it under warranty nor will they even Fix any phones now until further notice from them, because of the massive Recall on the J7 .

Updating my own original question above. IF the Bring your own phone list does NOT include the Moto G 3rd Generation can I still swap the 3rd Generation phone with my older Moto E 1st gen? I know it seems likely since it’s not listed in the BYO phone list it won’t work, but neither was my Moto E 1st Gen and it swapped out and I still got my original number back.

Hi @wahyut.7nwg9i,

You reference both the Moto G3 and Moto G4. Since there is no Republic specific G4, I’ll presume you mean the G3.

Anyone selling a Republic specific G3 should include the SIM that came with the phone. It’s sole purpose in that phone is to provide access to Sprint’s 4G LTE data network. It contains no personal or service information. Should the seller not include it; do not purchase Republic’s 3.0 SIM card kit as it’s incompatible with the G3. If needed, Republic will supply the appropriate SIM for the G3 free of charge. A help ticket would be required to make that request.

A Republic specific G3, like your Moto E1 is a legacy Republic phone. You may activate it as a replacement for your E1. Best practice is to first Factory Reset the G3. From there it’s a matter of following on screen prompts to activate. When presented the opportunity, select to replace your E1. Doing so will transfer both your number and current plan from the E1 to the G3. Detailed guidance here: Activate My Phone.

The seller on eBay says it’s a Republic Wireless phone.

Hello @wahyut.7nwg9i ,

I saw that eBay listing a couple of days ago and is likely a G4 the seller purchased from RW. Since it’s listed as used you’d need to purchase a RW SIM card.

Thank you for your help and your input. I lost out on the Moto G gen 4 (which they do make). It appears now even the G3 is going for too much. So my cheapest way back online I have to go for is a Moto E 2nd Gen. Which he said he deactivated and it already has a sim card included. I hate to keep down grading instead of upgrading but as Cheaply made as the Samsung models are made and Samsung or RW won’t stand behind the warranty I can’t afford to keep replacing them for $200-$400 a pop every time I go outside below zero and the LCD decides it can’t take the cold. At least now I know how to go about swapping out and what I need. Ty for your help.

Thank you for your help and your input. I lost out on the Moto G gen 4 (which they do make). Confused though now on the Sim card. Wiliamo. replied since it’s used I’ll need a new Sim card (even though it still has one in it) . Your saying I don’t need a new card? It appears now even the G3 is going for too much. So my cheapest way back online I have to go for is a Moto E 2nd Gen. Which he said he deactivated and it already has a sim card included. I hate to keep down grading instead of upgrading but as Cheaply made as the Samsung models are made and Samsung or RW won’t stand behind the warranty I can’t afford to keep replacing them for $200-$400 a pop every time I go outside below zero and the LCD decides it can’t take the cold. At least now I know how to go about swapping out and what I need. Ty for your help.

Disregard rolandh that last reply was meant for Williamo. Oops…

By not of my choosing I have to settle on a Moto E 2nd Gen now. Downgraded from the J3. The seller said the sim card is included, deactivated, and I’m still waiting for his reply on rather or not he disabled the kill switch. So I have two answers here. One saying I need a new Sim card and if understood you correctly your saying I don’t need a new Sim card as long as the original is in it?

You do not need to purchase a Republic 3.0 SIM card kit to activate a legacy Republic phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2). Legacy Republic phones should be sold with their SIM cards intact. Due to the modified Android operating system necessary for legacy Republic phones to work, they must have been produced specifically for Republic. Model equivalents to those manufactured as legacy Republic phones represented as working on other networks or sold as unlocked will not work with Republic. More from Republic here: Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones.

Republic’s 3.0 SIM only works in phones qualified for use on Republic 3.0 listed here: https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-2912-republic-wireless-30-faqs#jive_content_id_Bring_Your_Own_Phone_FAQs. These phones do not use a modified Android operating system and therefore do not need to be produced for Republic specifically.

I’m very sorry to hear of your J3’s cracked screen. Is Samsung disputing your assertion that the screen cracked as a result of temperature? Otherwise, I can see no reason it wouldn’t be covered under manufacturer’s warranty. Sadly, it’s not realistic to expect Republic to back the manufacturer’s warranty if the manufacturer itself won’t. You may wish to pursue your dispute with Samsung with whatever consumer assistance agencies are available to you in your state. Most state Attorney General’s offices have consumer protection divisions.

Hi @wahyut.7nwg9i ,

You’re getting different answers because you’re talking about different phones.

The Republic Wireless Moto E (1st and 2nd Gen), Moto G (1st and 3rd Gen) and Moto X (1st and 2nd Gen) require the same SIM card that was initially issued in them. You cannot swap the SIM card from another phone into those. If the seller of one of those phones does not include the SIM card, our support team will have to provide a replacement for you.

The Moto G4, G4+ and X Pure are different. They are supported as BYOP devices and as long as you buy a compatible model with the right Android build, you would need a new Republic Wireless SIM card in order to activate them. You can read more about Republic Wireless BYOP here: Republic Wireless 3.0 FAQs

Thanks again rolandh for all your help. It’s am English barrier I have there fore it sometimes makes it difficult to put in words. My nataive language is Indonesian. All worked out ok on buying one. Just ended up with a Moto E 2nd gen for $60.00 so I’m happy. And I checked all on the list too. Kill switch, deactivated, sim card is included and I just ran the EMID # through RW tonight to verify all is ok. As far as the Samsung J3 goes, the glass screen was fine. It was the LCD display inside that got all scrambled picture. I even included a note telling them about the below zero temps but they told me that the display doesn’t fall under the warranty if abused, dropped or acts of God. So to them, I guess acts of God falls under Weather. To top it off they are currently not even repairing any phones that don’t fall under their Warranty even if you pay them because of their massive recall on the Exploding J6 or J7 model. I forgot which one. The Only advice they gave me was sending it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Issue with that is it wasn’t bought their and no stores in Iowa will work with Samsung on it. Yes I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB on Samsung, and I will Never buy another Samsung product of any kind again. Bad enough RW will not work with you on a Samsung still under Warranty, but when the main company won’t either, then I 'll buy else where. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thank you Southpaw for your input and knowledge. Language issues and not knowing exactly which one I was going to win was the issue. The phone on it’s was to me is a Moto E 2nd Gen with the Original sim card in it and it has been deactivated. I just sent a ticket in with the EMID # confirming all is ok with activation.

Hi @wahyut.7nwg9i,

I’ve checked the device ID and responded on your ticket. I’ll also follow up with you if I can come up with any suggestions for improving your experience with Samsung.

Hi @wahyut.7nwg9i,

There’s certainly no need to apologize for your English. I assure you my Indonesian would be pretty bad as in non-existent.

I’m truly sorry your experiencing this difficulty with Samsung regarding your J3. Out of curiosity, just how cold was it? I did find this old PC World article and apparently, its not uncommon for manufacturer’s to disclaim warranties if something goes wrong due to cold weather: Sub-Zero Weather: Can Your Smartphone Stand The Cold? | PCWorld.

I sincerely hope @southpaw@rw is able to come up with something regarding Samsung. Meanwhile before giving up on Samsung, you might take another shot. Sometimes all it takes is speaking with a different representative and/or politely but firmly asking to be transferred to a supervisor. Although not a social media guy myself, I have found that sometimes with large companies raising the issue politely on Twitter or Facebook can be helpful.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy J3 (I’m in Florida so don’t need to worry about the temperature issue). I’ll try to find some time to look at the warranty literature to see if there’s something in there that might help.

Thank you Ma’am. I received your reply, commented and closed the case. You’ve been very helpful.

Thank you Sir for your help and Patience. I will try taking your advice. Sometimes some people think a Woman with an Asian accent can be more timed then Americans, but I will stand up to them. FB is a good Idea also.

Thank you @wahyut.7nwg9i ,

I typed up a reply in your ticket before I realized you had closed it out! So I’ll follow up here.

I did get confirmation consistent with what you’ve been told: A screen damaged by cold weather would not be covered under warranty, and Samsung has suspended non-warranty repairs for a period of time.

I did have one other thought. If you bought the phone with a credit card, it’s possible you have some additional warranty protection through your financial institution. It would be worth checking with them for additional assistance.

Thank you so much. I will look into it on extra Warranty. Although I used a Debt card it also can be used as a CC. I’ll have to see how the bank handles that. Sad though the people that live in cold weather climates are treated that way by Samsung. And to top it off, I wouldn’t of minded to pay the $75.00 to have it fixed but they wouldn’t even help there either. No more Samsungs for me of any type if they choose to treat their customers like that. I did file a complaint with the BBB over it. I’m not normally this aggressive by nature, but $200 for a phone that lasts 4 months and no help from them is just not fair. Nor can I afford to keep replacing them. Have a great day …

P.S. My new/used phone (moto E 2nd Gen is working fine too on RW. Won the bid for $61.00

Just wanted to update you and the others that told me to go to other places to get results on my Samsung J3 being fixed. I’m happy to say I have it returned to me once again Fixed for Free by Samsung. I guess one should never under estimate the power of the BBB … (y)