Switch OS to Android Go

Is it possible to switch my Moto X4 to run the Android Go operating system instead of Android 9? It seems absurd that we all have to throw out our phones every few years just because software developers keep making apps more and more resource intensive. The Play store will only let you download Google Maps Go but all the other “Go” apps are not available. #planned_obsolescence

No carrier I know of is going to “support” you in trying to do this, but there are large number of communities that specialize in this. The largest and most active is here: Moto X4 ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries, & Other Develop | XDA Forums

1 Like

I understand that a lot of carriers’ business models involve making money off of phone purchases. But Republic used to seem genuinely concerned with saving their customers money as a business model. They should be making most of their earnings from subscriptions, not phones, otherwise they would offer more phones to choose from. I don’t see why Republic wouldn’t support users who want to use Android Go as a way of extending the life of their phones and reducing e-waste. This would be the responsible thing to do, but I guess being socially responsible is too much to expect from corporations.

1 Like

By lack of support, @louisdi simply means Republic isn’t in a position to make what you propose work or not work. If you’re successful in flashing Android Go to your Moto X4 and Republic’s service and the rest of the phone’s functions work, great. If not, don’t ask Republic to “fix” it for you.

5 Likes

Would they really have to do much besides tell people how to perform the install at their own risk? If the hardware is already supported by Republic and Android Go will let you install all the same apps that are on the Play Store, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. But maybe I’m missing something. I’m not expecting they would fix it for me. Just looking for the option to try it.

Why would Republic want to tell folks that? It’s your phone to do with as you please. The dilemma with explicitly saying “at your own risk” is too many folks forget that part if things don’t work out. I’m not saying you would but many would do so.

Republic like every other service provider I’m aware of supports the version of Android the manufacturer put on the phone. Whether something else might or might not work is beyond the parameters of providing cellular service.

One is free to do what one wants with one’s phone. I would just suggest having a path back in case things don’t work out. The resource @louisdi pointed you to is as good as it gets when it comes to this sort of thing.

2 Likes

Because if their stated values are to help their customers save money (“everything you need, nothing you don’t”), they should help their customers keep their phones longer when they start to slow down. I don’t need the newest version of Android, and almost nobody does. Also, corporations have a responsibility to stop contributing to massive amounts of electronic waste. There’s this thing called corporate social responsibility.

I’m unaware of any Android Go build for the Moto X4. I don’t think it’s ever been done.

2 Likes

I think we’re going to need to largely agree to disagree on this. I think your goals are noble and I believe you have the absolute right to try what you propose with your property.

On the other hand, expecting Republic to publish how to material or otherwise provide how to information is unrealistic. Republic provides cellular service. Republic lacks the expertise to provide the kind of guidance you seek.

And, as @cbwahlstrom has just pointed out, what you propose may not even be possible. If anyone knows of a way, it would be the fine folks at the XDA forums to which you’ve already been pointed.

1 Like

One of the main reasons that most manufacturers shy away from variants is that it is impossible for them to know all the subtle differences. As Go is an apparent lite (stripped down) version of the normal Android, one could logically expect some timing differences in execution, this could upset the balance that Republic built and tested their App to.
If you’re h… bent on this direction, then go it! Do your homework, check out all the documentation you can find, and keep careful notes as you progress.
You may find that even if you’re successful in the venture, it may not work with the Republic App … so good luck

1 Like

I don’t think I disagree with you; I just don’t know enough about how this stuff works to have an informed opinion. You say it’s “unrealistic” and Republic “lacks the expertise”, which I find hard to believe. A google search turns up websites showing you how to install Android Go. As you and others point out, I could do my homework and figure out how to do this, and I am far less experienced than anyone at Republic. The reason I came here to ask is because I don’t trust that those methods won’t screw up my Republic Wireless app. I don’t think it would take a massive amount of resources for someone at Republic to test this out and just let users know if it works on their existing phones. I, and I suspect many others, would be more comfortable purchasing a premium phone if we knew we could keep it longer. I would even be willing to pay a higher monthly bill if I knew Republic was going to help me keep my device running longer. It would differentiate them in customers’ minds to know that Republic does not want them to buy new phones every two years. Maybe this is in fact unrealistic, as you say, since the whole industry is geared toward the 2-year cycle.

Here is an example of Republic doing exactly this. They encouraged a member to create, and then prominently featured, a Tips & Tricks article that helps members keep their phones working longer.

2 Likes

So Tmobile should just keep the all Sprint 3G towers up and running… I don’t think that’s gonna happen? And all those big screen TVs :tv: getting replaced by bigger ones? And new cars and trucks every year?

The thing is, as you admit, you don’t know enough how this stuff works to have an informed opinion, those of us responding do. Most of us have done it, on multiple phones, over multiple Android versions. It isn’t simple. It can go very wrong including bricking the phone permanently. It is highly technical requires boot loader unlocking, ADB commands, etc. No cell phone carrier in their right mind is going to do anything other than disavow any knowledge of how this works.

4 Likes