Switch to Wifi only plan

I am planning on traveling internationally for a month and was planning on switching to the wifi only plan so that my text messages would route through wifi instead of the cell network.

I saw on the republic website that upgrading is effective immediately but downgrading is only effective at the beginning of the next payment cycle. Is that statement just referring to the payment plan or to the downgrade? I would ideally like to have the wifi only settings apply from the first day of travel rather than waiting for three weeks until the beginning of my billing cycle (the cost is not important; just the service).

0 Likes

this is still a big hole for the 2.0 Refund plans that Republic still has not addressed

for lines that started on 2.0 there no option but to wait for a billing cycle (or move to wifi on the billing cycle before the trip)

if your line predates the refund plan you may request a 1 time transfer back to the older 1.0 plans via a Help ticket where the switch would be instant (note this would count as 2 changes (1 to go back to a 1.0 plan and 1 to move to the the WiFi only) so it would take a republic a republic tick to switch to a cell plan when you return and then request back to 2.0 on your next billing cycle

Republic Help

also note there is no WiFi only plan on 3.0 but text are never sent to the cell text channel, they are IP based and always sent via data (either WiFi or Cell but not counted against tier amount)

0 Likes

drm186,

You said:

also note there is no WiFi only plan on 3.0 but text are never sent to the cell text channel, they are IP based and always sent via data (either WiFi or Cell but not counted against tier amount)

I’m on a Moto X with a 1.0 plan.

Several years ago, I read that texts are first attempted to send via WiFi and then are sent to Sprints network to delivery wirelessly over the Sprint network. My tests confirmed that if I left my phone in airplane mode with WiFi on, I would not get texts when my phone was off because they would already have been sent to Sprints network.

When you say that texts are never sent to the cell text channel, are you referring to the 3.0 plans?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi @wayloncovil,

Indeed the use of pure IP messaging is limited to 3.0 currently. Nothing has changed with legacy Republic phones like your Moto X. Fortunately, you’re on since you’re on a grandfathered 1.0 plan, you may still do the switch to WiFi only switch back when you return as you’ve done in the past. Nothing has changed with that for grandfathered 1.0 plans either.

0 Likes

Yes on the 1.0 plans and 2.0 plans (except the wifi plan), the texts are tried by wifi. If they are unable to be delivered they are transferred to the cellular network for delivery by the traditional SMS channel.

On the 1/2 wifi only plan, because there is no cellular component, it is held for delivery by wifi.

On the 3.0 network, ALL texts are delivered by data. That means that they are waiting for the first way the phone gets data, cellular or wifi. SO, there’s no downside from a text delivery perspective of a cellular plan while not on wifi.

0 Likes

Thanks!

0 Likes

Thank you!

0 Likes

closed #8
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer