Switched to T-Mobile prepaid

I just switched To Tmobile connect the $15 a month per line from republic after 5 yrs mainly because you can’t do any banking on Republic because it is seen as a landline. We have wanted to use Zelle and Venmo to move money . After porting over the number to Tmobile and some hicups on Tmobile side everything seems to be working now. But if it doesn’t work out I will switch back to Republic. With Tmobile though you can call help center or go into a store if you have any problems. $15 a month for 2.5 gb a month per line. I always looking for ways to try to save money.

1 Like

That Republic’s numbers are seen as landlines is accurate. To say one cannot do any banking on Republic is not. I use my Republic number with my bank’s (Wells Fargo) mobile app daily.

It’s true neither of these apps as a matter of their policy accept Republic numbers, however, Venmo and Zelle are hardly the only apps in town. Square’s Cash app, Google’s GPay and PayPal all work with Republic numbers.

Yes, you can and I have when needing support for a household iPhone. Neither method provided a satisfactory experience for me. For that reason, the aforementioned iPhone is no longer with T-Mobile.

In my experience, it’s less about the method of support delivery and more about the folks delivering the support. Does it matter if the support is done by someone typing with you rather than talking with you if the the support someone is competent? Nevertheless, folks here should know it’s quite possible to work with Republic support over the phone. When opening a ticket, just ask to work over the phone and an agent can make those arrangements.

Both of these are more than fair enough.

1 Like

I made the switch. Wife has 5.5gb, I have 2.5gb for the same price as 1gb each. The quality of calls is much higher, voices are clearer and louder. Calls start and end without any delays. Calls can still go over wifi. I picked up a Pixel 4a 5g and I could not be happier.

Mark, what did you switch to?

T-Mobile prepaid

I am located in Phoenix. Do you think I will get the same phone reception you are getting?

Thank you for your original reply.

Check their coverage map. I can tell you that my coverage got significantly better because I was still using the old sprint network through republic so switching opened up both T-Mobile and the old sprint networks.

1 Like

Did you get a new phone? Because that is more likely the cause. My Republic phones see Sprint/T-Mobile coverage that is identical to the phones I have directly on T-Mobile.

Initially, no. I had the 2020 Moto G Power. I upgraded to the Google Pixel 4a 5G and it’s an amazing phone.

I noticed the difference as soon as I put T Mobile SIM card in my Republic phone. Calls connected quicker, louder, clearer, etc …

I made the switch to TMobile’s $15 connect plan… and since the fees (minus $11 MA state tax) seem to be buried in that $15… those alone were over $40 a year… see below.

I’m getting an extra 1.5 gigs a month, hopefully a better spam blocker, AND saving $63 a year over Republic’s annual plan (1 gig) @ $255… and those fees were quite extensive…

911 Surcharge $18
Federal compliance fee $5.64
Federal universal Service Fund $20.47

This is NOT the way it’s suppose to work… the cheaper plans were to come from the smaller companies… not the Big Guys.

1 Like

I use Venmo and Paypal on my RW phone. So not sure why I can but others cannot.

AmyB

1 Like

I am suspicious of the apparent lack of fees. These fees are mandated by the federal government. If you look at the Connect Plan web page, it states “taxes and fees are additional.”

I think there is no free lunch here. Please set me straight if I’m wrong!

2 Likes

I know fees are included in TMobile’s more expensive plan… but I read that too… and I had that list of fees I was paying when I went in.

They said it was only MA sales tax and looking at my first bill for the first month… it was just $15 plus MA sales tax… and $10 for the SIM card. No activation fee beyond the SIM card.

I need to hear from others… what their experience was.

1 Like

But it’s just so redonculasness.
:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::yum::yum::yum:

I’ve been using Zelle, Google pay, Venmo and Zelle is actually owned by the Banks and they are planning to dominate the market as they always do.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Pixel 4XL is amazing :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

My family have used the Moto series many different phones since 2013 when we arrived at republic wireless.
They were great to save money especially for kids and wife’s dropping them all the time.

Ever since we got Pixel 4 XL reception has been off the chain :sunglasses:

I find it funny that the number one important thing people want in a phone is the camera. :camera_flash:
:thinking:

Thanks republic wireless and Motorola for saving me $$$$ thousands of dollars over the last 8 years.

Now both of my phone plans are Free :free::relaxed:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Your phone number was rejected by Venmo, Twitter, a bank, or other third party service. Why?

That’s so strange.
My Zelle account allowed me to use my email which is much harder to hack.

I have heard so many stories about people using a cell phone number for banking and they were hacked by a family member or friend.
:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I only use it for secondary verification.

Although, at this point I don’t think any of the application money transfers are protected. Read the fine print. Once you push send it’s on you. :thinking:
It’s like a debit card.

In certain circumstances I will send $5 to verify the recipient. Especially when doing $1000++ transactions.

If security is important. Only use a credit card with full dispute protection.
USAA is a great example of this.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

I’m reminded of a quote from the book - The Power of Commitment author - Douglas Yeaman

“Doing what doesn’t work, doesn’t work.
Getting better at what doesn’t work, doesn’t work.
Doing more and more of what doesn’t work, doesn’t work.”

Or

“The only change in thinking that can change your life is the change of thinking that follows the transformation of the thinker.”

Or my personal favorite is a quote he likes from:
William H. Murray

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans. That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves, too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.”

1 Like

I tried Tmobile for… 1 day, yes ONE day. I dropped them like a hot potato. Trying to sign up took ALL DAY with 3 people trying on their end and me on mine until some guy finally did get the form through. Then it turned out I was given a Verizon number and they couldn’t figure out how (thanks to the guy who finally got the form through after being in touch with the ALL DAY… ths iwas 10 am to 7 pm it took to just get signed up (should have been a sign to me that things weren’t going to go well.

I was lied to about numerous things that they would provide for me to help me as a Deaf Customer: i.e. TTY and Call forwarding, they assured me both were avaiable to me, until I signed up for service, then when I couldn’t find either working, the next person said no they aren’t available. Someone obviously just wanted their commission.

While you can call their CS, they are not helpful nor do they care to be and you have to jump through hoops to get to the person who actually can help you and even that help is subpar.

As for their $15 for 2.5 GB data, thats only a temporary promotion and will be raised at some point soon. I pushed them hard to get them to finally admit to me that it is only temporary and the price will change eventually to a higher price and/or less data for that amount.

Then after all the headaches with them (thankfully I didn’t port my number and was trying them on an extra phone I had) when I wanted to cancel it was a nightmare. I had to go through 5 people before someone decided they would give me the refund I was due (you can get a full refund in the first 20 days if you cancel within that 20 days and I was cancelling my FIRST day). THEN… the person that supposedly was cancelling my service and giving me a refund never actually did it.

Finally someone did a week later and I did get my full refund.

Being able to call customer service doesn’t mean better customer service. Their customer service is the worst I have ever had to deal with (even worse than Verizon). Don’t let that $15 for 2.5 gb fool you… it’s not going to last.

Oh and as for banking, zelle, etc, I can do those with RW with no problem, I think some of that has to do with how your bank has it set up because through my bank I have no issues.

I use Venmo too, but wonder if we were early adopters and so “grandfathered in”? I had huge problems with Zelle.

I use two bank apps and have no problem with banking on my Moto G7.

Message an
Expert customer