Switching from Moto X Pure to a G7 Power - same SIM card?

I want to replace my Moto X Pure with a G7 Power. Can I use the existing SIM card or will I need a new one? Also can I use the memory card from the X Pure in the G7 Power. If so I assume I’d have to reformat the card?

As far as the SIM goes, open the Republic App, click the gear at the top and then About. What does it say there for SIM type? If it says “GSM” you can move it to the new phone. If it says “CDMA” come back here so we can talk through the options.

As far as the memory card, whether you’ll need to reformat it depends on whether the card is formatted as “internal”. If formatted as internal, they yes, it will need to be formatted as it is encrypted with a key that only the phone it’s in can read. If it is not formatted as internal, then you can just move it.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the Moto X is no longer working. Is there another way to check the SIM card type?

How long has that phone not been working? SIM cards expire after 20 days if they’ve been deactivated.

For an alternate way to see which SIM type you have, take it out and look at it. I can’t figure out how to put in a link for that here, but if the “public” in Republic is green, it’s GSM, and if it’s still active or recently deactivated, you can put it in the new phone.

1 Like

Thank you again. the phone just “died” today (failed attempt to change the battery), so the SIM should still be active. The “public” is green, so it looks like I should be able to move it to the new phone.

1 Like

Yay. (oh, and been there, done that with a failed battery change. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I sure do miss replaceable batteries!)

Had the battery replaced in my moto x pure it was a bear but do able shop charged me 60

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer