Switching to Tracfone, what carrier is my phone compatible with?

I enjoyed my 1.5 years with RW, but moved to a new town last October. Unfortunately, I rarely have any signal, so I am thinking about switching to Tracfone. I have a Moto G5 Plus that I purchased online and it came with the RW SIM.

My wife uses AT&T and has good signal where we live. Can I purchase a AT&T-compatible SIM from Tracfone to use in my phone? Thank you for any assistance.

Hi @Ri0 and welcome to the Community!

Republic has more than one coverage option for your Moto G5 Plus. May we trouble you for a zip code to see if alternative coverage from Republic might help?

Your Moto G5 Plus is factory unlocked, so I don’t see why not. Ultimately, it’s up to TracFone.

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Thank you for the information, I would be happy to stay if another coverage option provides me with signal. My zip code is 53555.

1 Like

Hi @Ri0,

I have to admit, according to the maps, neither of Republic’s coverage options looks great for you. That said, might I trouble you for one more thing. I’m interested to know which Republic SIM your phone is currently provisioned with. Here’s how to tell:

Please let us know if you see GSM or CDMA?

1 Like

The SIM type is GSM

1 Like

Hi @Ri0,

Thanks for the additional context! As mentioned in my previous reply, my reading of the maps suggests neither of Republic’s coverage options are great, however, I would say CDMA (Sprint) is better than GSM (T-Mobile).

You might have a look at CDMA coverage for yourself here: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

It might be worthwhile giving CDMA coverage a shot as there’s nothing to lose and coverage maps aren’t perfect representations of facts on the ground. Here’s how:

1 Like

Thank you for all the help. I ordered a CDMA SIM to see if it will allow me to have signal where I need it. I would prefer it over moving to Tracfone.

2 Likes

Good news! The CDMA SIM has allowed me to have signal where I most needed it at my house and surrounding areas. Thank you @rolandh for the great recommendation which will allow me to continue you with Republic. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Hi @Ri0,

You’re welcome! We’re happy to continue calling you a fellow member!

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer