• October 2017 Android security patch

Nexus 6

• Build number: N6F27M

Nexus 6P

• Build number: OPR5.170623.007

Hello!
I have a Pixel that has Oreo and the latest RW app installed. I just got the October security patch yesterday for October. My Build number however does not match what you have posted… is something wrong?
The B# on my phone is : OPR1. 170623.027

Thank you :slight_smile:

From https://developers.google.com/android/ota, that appears to be the Project Fi and Canada version of the update. If it works, it works.

8.0.0 (OPR1.170623.027, Oct 2017, Fi/Canada)

Thank you! cbwahlstrom

I too was on the OPR1.170623.027 version. I was able to flash the OPR3.170623.008 version by downloading the ota update and then rebooting to recovery and using adb to sideload it. If anyone is interested I will post detailed instructions on how to do so.
Also for what it is worth, it might be a placebo effect but LTE seems to connect much faster on this update version (OPR3.170623.008). Not connection speeds but the time that it takes to connect. Especially after dropping wifi. It is almost instant now and before it took about 30 seconds to connect.

EDIT: must have been a placebo because it still takes about 30 seconds to connect to LTE for me. Also there appears to be nothing different on this rom other than the version number and baseband version.

Hey-
I have a Nexus 6P. I am still on Android 7.1.2 version with security patch from August 5. Needless to say, manually pressing the “check for update” function is yielding no results. When will Oreo be rolled out? It’s been…awhile since it’s been released.
Thanks!!

Nothing to do with Republic. See here: Where's My Android Update? Understanding the Update Process

Same for my Nexus 6P. I suspect the delay may be the reason Google has extended our security patch support to Nov. 2018, beyond the original “too old” date of Sept. 2018.

My Nexus 6p is still on the Aug 5 security update, and running 7.1.2. I realize that Republic doesn’t have anything to do with releasing the updates themselves, but they did sell me the phone. Seems like they would be able to talk to Google or Huawei and lets us know an approx. date when it is delayed this long. My understanding is there have been two security updates since Aug 5th. One of the reasons I bought a Nexus was so I could get updates in a timely manner.

I’m going to provide the link again. You need to ask Google: Where’s My Android Update? Understanding the Update Process

Try perusing the Nexus Support Forum. Here’s one thread discussing updates:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!category-topic/nexus/-_ZO2coxHeI

I’m a bit confused and wondering if there is a clear answer.

I have a Nexus 6P purchased from Republic. Is Republic responsible for pushing the Android Security patches and/or the Oreo update to my phone, or is Google responsible?

The information provided here is that Google is responsible because it’s a Nexus 6P, but Republic is responsible since it was not purchased from Google.

Notable Newbies: Welcome!

Google is responsible. It is the manufacturer not the carrier for unlocked phones. For sprint, tmobile, verizon, att, etc branded phones the manufacturers and carriers work together to add the carrier specific stuff but the manufacturer has the final say.

Thank you for the concise answer. Seems I’ll just have to be patient if I choose not to sideload.

You are welcome.

Just as an update; I received the OTA update to Oreo today.

I finally got it, too! I was so excited. My life is boring.