T-Mobile and Sprint in the news

Here’s some news on this http://bit.ly/2wbpAHj and http://bit.ly/2xkpxwH

I think this is possible a win for Republic Wireless. How will RW handle this if this merger goes thru which may happen in October 2017? I think we and RW should stay tuned for the next development.

Thanks

Les

nothing happens over night
from Republic side the fist thing we may see is no new CDMA activation (some time late next year as it will take that long for any merger to be approved)
followed by a CDMA drop date (years in the future) (this will happen sooner or later as CDMA is on it’s way out in 5 to 10 years )
this will mean the end of the current active the beta phone support and the end of the 1.0 3G plan (support for the 1 st Gen Moto G and Moto E will also end as they are CDMA only phones) the rest of the legacy phones may be unsupported here if they can not support VoLTE)

then again we may not see any change as the approve may never come and even if it does the FCC will control the timing of the shut down of Sprint’s CDMA network (it took over a decade for the Nextel’s network to be allowed to shut down by Sprint

It’s a tad premature to be speculating on how Republic CDMA support would be impacted by any potential TMO/Sprint merger. It’s unlikely a merger would result in anything resembling a quick shutdown of Sprint’s CDMA network. There are far too many CDMA devices on Sprint’s network proper for that to be feasible.

My first comment was nothing happens over night,
then over year before any effect of such a merger
in 5 to 10 years the industry will be shutting down CDMA either way (to make room for the next type of network (and as I stated FCC will likely control when that is after a merger, and Republic and other MVNOs will just be around for the ride)) when CDMA does go down CDMA only phones will for sure no longer work (Republic CDMA only phones include the Beta phone and the 1st Gen Moto G and E) the other legacy phones depends on how they would handle VoLTE.

You also said the following, which I believe is highly speculative:

Actually, there would be much more involved than how VoLTE would be handled. Even if legacy CDMA phones like some of Republic’s are LTE capable, they use CDMA fallback technology when LTE isn’t available. As you observed Nextel’s iDEN network was kept active for an extended period after Nextel’s merger with Sprint.

CDMA technology is on the way to being phased out regardless of whether there’s a TMO Sprint merger. It won’t be 10 years and maybe not 5. Verizon already has an LTE only flip phone in its lineup. The ultimate timing of CDMAs eventual demise is likely to be unaffected by any TMO Sprint merger.

If the 2 where to merge I do see new CDMA activation going away ( during the merger the expect end of CDMA will be announced the 2 LTE networks will be combined and for best coverage and one does not sell new phone on a dead man walking network)
Verizon already announced CDMA should be shutting down in 2022 (which is why they have a LTE only flip phone and all their phones sold support VoLTE)

I’ll try one final time. It isn’t merely about VoLTE or LTE generally. With the noted exception of Verizon’s LTE only flip phone, both GSM and CDMA still rely on fallback 3G (and in some areas 2G) technology. In the event of a merger, there would be no 3G or 2G GSM fallback in place on what is currently Sprint’s network. Therefore, I don’t see an end to new CDMA activations until CDMA is going away all together.

there are area right now that there no 2G/3G fallback with the GSM partner they relay whole on the band 12 LTE, the FCC will most like state they must support CDMA so many years after the last CDMA (no LTE) phone is sold which mean at some point there will still be a CDMA network supporting older phones with out allowing new phones on it (this is basically what happen to Nextel’s iDEN network)

Right the GSM network. Nothing to do with any CDMA network.

Maybe, maybe not. To the best of my knowledge, the FCC is telling neither Verizon or Sprint that they must support CDMA for any defined period of time. There isn’t an inherent reason a TMO/Sprint merger would change that.

Since a merger isn’t a given, this is all just rampant speculation, which may or may not come to pass.

… this is all just rampant speculation, which may or may not come to pass.

Everything about the cellular communications industry is rife with rampant speculation. Rampant speculation on this subject is one of America’s new favorite passtimes. :wink:

What will happen to the phones on the 2.0 plan if the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile becomes a reality? I really like the current refunds that I get every month, and for that reason I have not switch to the newer phones on the 3.0 plan. I also love the CDMA network.

In the short run likely nothing. Post potential merger, it’s likely both networks would continue to operate as is for a period of time. Please know that while we use GSM and CDMA as convenient terms to differentiate coverage between Republic’s cellular partners, there’s nothing inherent about either technology coverage wise. In other words, if Sprint switched from CDMA technology to GSM technology tomorrow, their coverage footprint wouldn’t change.

Down the road (3 to 5 years in my estimation) CDMA technology will reach end of life and the U.S. (like most of the rest of the world) will standardize on GSM. As legacy Republic phones are CDMA, it’s likely they’ll stop working. What Republic’s (or anyone else’s) plan structure will be at that time is anybody’s guess.

One of my favorite things about the Republic Wireless community (RWc) is how much one can learn about a technological topic in a simple general discussion.

I have a question @lesc, did you find an answer or new perspective on the subject in this discussion?.

:relaxed:

Back in the news.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-mobile-carriers-sprint-t-mobile-merge-report-050951463--finance.html

The article states, in part, “… to create a rival to America’s top two wireless carriers…”

It may create a rival in terms of the number of subscribers. But, it won’t do much to create a rival to either of their competitor’s network coverage. Two lackluster networks do not necessarily equal network coverage equal to ATT or VZN. The T-Mo and Sprint networks both lack coverage in rural areas. Integrating the two networks won’t change that. But, eventually, their combined resources may put them in a position to fill out their national network coverage. Sooner, rather than later, I hope.

Looks like it’s being called off:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/SoftBank-calling-off-talks-to-merge-Sprint-T-Mobile

Blockquote
SoftBank tried to buy T-Mobile in 2014, but the idea was abandoned amid opposition from regulators under then-President Barack Obama. The failure of this latest effort leaves Sprint, which was acquired by SoftBank in 2013, to keep working toward a turnaround on its own.

That’s not going to be easy for Sprint to do. They didn’t buy any new bandwidth from the recent FCC sale to the telecoms. T-mo bought a bunch.

Don’t know whether there’s anything to it, but I’ve heard rumblings over the past couple of days that Amazon has made overtures about buying Sprint. The company continuing to exist under new ownership rather than getting absorbed might be more appealing to to SoftBank.