T-Mobile Speed vs Sprint

Well, T-Mobile may advertise that they have the fastest 4G LTE network, but if so, it certainly doesn’t exist in the 300+ mile range that I have traveled since getting my new Nexus 6P and moving to the RW 3.0 plans. My wife has my old Moto-X (2nd Gen) which is on the RW 2.0 plans on Sprint and wherever we go I test the speed of both phones using the Speedtest.Net app. With full bars of LTE showing on both phones, only once has my T-Mobile phone shown faster speed than my wife’s Sprint phone, and then only by a small margin. Usually the Spring phone is faster by several Mbps. At first I thought it was just the towers in my rural Eastern Oregon location, but after spending a few days on the Western side of the state, in Portland, Oregon, I found the results to be the same there. On my old Verizon phone I regularly saw speeds of 20 Mpbs to 40+ Mbps in the same areas.

Sometimes, even with full bars of LTE showing, I can only get 1 or 2 Mbps download speed, although it is usually in the 5 to 10 Mbps range. The Sprint phone is usually in the 10 to 20 Mpbs range in the same scenarios. For a while after activating the new phone I wasn’t even able to get a full 1 Mbps so I submitted a ticket to RW and they had me update the RW app on the phone and that helped considerably. Still, I’m quite disappointed with my LTE speed on T-Mobile.

Would be interested to hear from anybody else who has phones on both networks, and what speeds you are seeing.

1 Like

The cell speed can vary by area. When I activated my 3.0 phone a few months ago, I was getting around 20Mbps up and down. Today, I’m getting about 5. I have another 2.0 phone on Sprint and am getting 0.5Mbps down and .01 up. Both are on LTE, and I’m in Phoenix.

In my area, while T-Mobile coverage is significantly inferior, their speeds are far superior. Right now, I’ve got:

A ZTE Axon 7 on AT&T: on three tests averaged 7.4Mbps down / 4.1Mbps up

A Republic Moto G4 on Sprint averaged 2.1Mbps down / 0.5Mbps up

A Republic Moto X Pure with a BYOP T-Mobile SIM averaged 19.8Mbps down / 11.2 Mbps up

I’m sticking to my X2 until they pry it from me…

In Tacoma, Wa, I just did a test using my X1 on Sprint with one bar short of full, no Sprint Spark for the X1: 13.22 Mbps download and 13.48 upload.

It’s been my experience that signal strength makes a huge difference.

1 Like

LTE is LTE those test that say one faster than another are averaging over multiple test locations, but there will always be some area that another provider will be faster

T-Mobile as a rule is better in cities than suburbs

But a lot depends on what bandwidth is hooked up to the tower and how many users are using that tower

Now 3g T-Mobile will blow away a CDMA Sprint or Verizon as GSM 3g is just faster by spec

1 Like

Bummer that your speeds aren’t living up to the hype in your area.

I know your mileage may vary, but my coverage and data speeds are superior on 3.0 vs 2.0 in Dallas Fort Worth, Texas.

Look father down in the comments for speed results. This includes band 4 and band 12. BYOP Activation

drm186 wrote:

LTE is LTE those test that say one faster than another are averaging over multiple test locations, but there will always be some area that another provider will be faster

T-Mobile as a rule is better in cities than suburbs

But a lot depends on what bandwidth is hooked up to the tower and how many users are using that tower

Now 3g T-Mobile will blow away a CDMA Sprint or Verizon as GSM 3g is just faster by spec

That is what I thought as well, which is why I was so surprised that in all but one test, in multiple areas in Portland, Or., that the Sprint phone was faster. Probably just the luck of the draw in location to towers and tower capacity. Murphy’s laws, and all that. But it still surprised me.

I’m not so sure that all LTE networks offer the same speed. Check this article out.

“4x4MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) which doubles the number of data paths between your phone and the cell network, and 256QAM/64QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) for faster bits transfers during downloads and uploads”

T-Mobile announces new network technologies for faster speeds, takes a dump on Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T in the process

Message an
Expert customer