Take number from RW to T-Mobile....how do I do it?

what do i have to do to take my number to tmobile? I have the sim card set up with my number there, but no change has happened

Hi @ryanj.semfkd,

Generally, one moves their number to a new service provider by asking them to take it. It’s not clear if by " I have the sim card set up with my number there…" that’s what you mean. Have you asked T-Mobile to transfer your number and, if so, have they advised the transfer is complete? Some general information follows:

For purposes of transferring your number elsewhere; your account number is the 10-digit phone number being transferred without dashes. Per FCC regulation, Republic is unable to provide or set the required PIN. You may do so yourself as described by Republic here: How to Set Up or Update Your Account PIN – Republic Help. More detail on transferring from Republic here: How to Transfer Your Number from Republic Wireless – Republic Help.

There is some additional information you might want to make your new service provider aware of. Republic numbers are classified as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). Republic’s use of VoIP is part of the nature of its blended WiFi first service. There is nothing Republic can do to change this regulatory classification.

For transfer (porting) purposes, VoIP numbers are treated the same as traditional landlines (wireline is the more correct telecom industry term). Porting your number will, typically, take longer (days as opposed to hours). If you wish a more definitive timeline, please inquire with your new service provider. Generally, the service provider gaining your business determines the pace of the porting process. I’ve written, in some detail, how the number transfer process is designed to work in this Republic Community article: Anatomy of a Number Transfer.

Meanwhile, please don’t take steps to proactively cancel your Republic service. Doing so risks loss of your number. When your port is complete, you’ll receive email notification from Republic and your Republic service will automatically cancel.

4 Likes

Is there a particular reason that you are moving from R.W. to Tmobile?
RW currently uses Tmobile GSM network on their 3.0 compatible phones, so you won’t see any difference in coverage.

The OP never said they were moving away from a 3.0 plan. There are lots of reasons people move to different providers. I’m porting out this week because using my 2.0 phone has become painful (OS can’t be updated and many apps either don’t work on Lollipop or cause too many issues) and there are better plans out there than RW’s 3.0 (and don’t use T-Mobile which is horrible in my area). RW used to be the best deal around, but now there are many more options for cheap, reliable service.

3.0 doesn’t force you to change carrier. Most 3.0 phones can still use Sprint, if that’s your choice.

That largely depends on how you use your phone. For those that use little or no data, Republic remains hard to beat without doing thing like paying for service multiple months at a time.

2 Likes

They still are top for me. THe next in line is Google Fi, but only if I dont use Data like at all.
The other very cheap service providers I have looked into, all of which use Tmobile, which is what I want, are still abit more expensive, but get more data allotment, that I would never use, or have to pre-pay a years worth of service (that is a contract of sorts) to get good price, and, the others have NO Domestic Call/text Roaming ability.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer