Temporary line shut off

can I do a temporary shut off on one of my lines?

No, sorry. If you have one of the 2.0 phones you can put it on the $5.00 plan for a while, otherwise the least expensive plan is $15.00. If you don’t mind losing your number and if you have a 2.0 phone, you can deactivate it and reactivate it later. You can do this with a 3.0 phone too but would need a new SIM to reactivate it.

I know this is a complicated answer but you didn’t tell us which phone you have and which plan you are on.

In addition to @billg 's excellent reply, here is a link you may find helpful…

How to switch to the $5 plan?

I told @karenp.idegrt that if she had a 3.0 phone she could deactivate it but would need a new SIM to reactivate it. @southpaw@rw while I know this is true for GSM phones I don’t know if this is true for CDMA phones. Would you be so kind as to clear this up for me?

Yes, I understand.

Another relevant topic…Temporary disconnect

Hi @billg,

I’m glad you thought to ask.

Deactivation of any 3.0 phone renders it a BYOP phone. Since we are unable to support CDMA for 3.0 BYOP phones, that means the phone could then only be re-activated with a GSM SIM card.

@karenp.idegrt,

If you tell us what you hope to accomplish by de-activating a phone, we might be able to offer some other options that won’t result in the loss of phone number,won’t affect any return options, and won’t render your phone a “BYOP” phone. A lot of the time when we see this question it is because a parent wishes to encourage a child to make better decisions. A lot of Community members have found an app called Qustodio Parental Control to be a very effective means to this end.

Thanks, I was afraid the might be the case. We are just going to have to dig deeper the next time a question like this comes up. @c1tobor mentioned this related thread where you might want to add that caveat.

Temporary disconnect

southpaw@rw wrote:

a parent wishes to encourage a child to make better decisions.

LOL! That is about the most obtuse (and wordy) euphemism I’ve ever heard for “punish”.

LOL! That is about the most obtuse (and wordy) euphemism I’ve ever heard for “punish”.

I was thinking of you as I typed it, having seen your replies over the years to many such inquiries.

Message an
Expert customer