Terms of service - RW right to charge - Per Call Country

My experience with RW has been great. Upon logging into my account it was required that I accept new terms of service.

I’m curious, does anyone else find this terms of service clause (TOS) odd? It’s like a Collect Call with the charge but involuntary for the recipient. "Republic Wireless reserves the right to charge You fifty cents ($0.50) per minute when You place a call to or from a Per Call Country or receive a call from a Per Call Country."
https://republicwireless.com/legal/terms-and-conditions/?name=rw&version=3.0

I don’t think we should get charged if we receive a call from a Per Call Country for two reasons:

1. what’s to stop a person from a Per Call Country from calling a RW subscriber repeatedly?
  2. doesn’t (only) the caller always pay to make the connection? There’s no extra effort (that I’m aware of) where RW or any carrier acting as a recipient has to expend resources to facilitate an inbound call from out of country.

Republic has yet add these charges to a customers bill, at least to my knowledge.
they are just holding on to the right to (if one abuses the use) as service in these areas cost them more than in the mainland US (and just having the phones work in those areas is a new thing when I join one could not use cell tower in these locations )

“Per Call Country” means the following protectorates, territories, or other geographic areas: Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Johnston Atoll, Midway Atoll, and Wake Island. Republic Wireless reserves the right to charge You fifty cents ($0.50) per minute when You place a call to or from a Per Call Country or receive a call from a Per Call Country.

Edit to add these are not new to the terms they been there for at least a year and maybe 2

7 Likes
Message an
Expert customer