Testing data speed

Does testing the data speed count against my monthly usage?

If testing while on cell, yes. If testing the speed of the WiFi network one is connected to no additional charges from Republic.

Well then I need to warn all users to be cautious testing your speed on the cell network because each test uses up about 130Mbps now that the speed of the cell data network is over 100Mbps.

First, you’ll be hard pressed to find a cell data network in the U.S. providing anywhere near 100 Mbps. For example, here’s T-Mobile’s (T-Mobile claims America’s fastest 4G LTE network) calculator: https://explore.t-mobile.com/cityspeeds. When I select my area of Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, FL, I’m told typical network download speeds range from 7.7-36.8 Mbps. Upload speeds (as is common) are a fraction of that at 3.3-21.1 Mbps.

Second, network speed is measured in megabits per second (Mbps) Data use on the other hand is calculated in megabytes (MB). There are 8 bits in 1 byte, so 1 megabit = 0.125 megabytes. Therefore 100 megabits would be 12.5 megabytes, a fairly trivial amount of data use.

Impressive, however, most folks still won’t see that. For Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia, MI, TMO claims average network download speeds of 10.3-46.1 Mbps. Corresponding claimed upload speeds are 3.6-23 Mbps.

In any event that test used roughly 12.62 megabytes per second of cell data (I used the higher download speed of 100.96(0.125). For reference there are 1024 megabytes in 1 gigabyte. I still say the amount of cell data used in a single test is minimal and not worth worrying about.

Happy Thanskgiving!

This link provides a good discussion on speed and the amount of MB’s used for various task.
Partial extract

I have to ask, are you sure your phone wasn’t connected to WiFi at the time of the test?

I’m also curious what app you’re using to check your speed. That interface doesn’t look like any of the mobile, or app interfaces that I know of. You know most looks like a desktop interface. Are you tethering to your phone and then testing?

GSM in 63033

That looks about right. I get between 25-35Mpbs down and 10-15Mpbs up here in my area on the GSM partner.

It says right on the screen shot that the device is my Motorola E (4) and the carrier is T-Mobile. It’s lightening fast but a HUGE data hog when testing the speed. Each data test for this this type of speed used about 130MB of data.

A general test is going to max out the connection for 15-20 seconds between testing up and down.

Let’s use the high end and say 10 seconds on each side.

The speeds your’re reporting would be 12.62 MB per second of use (on the download side) = 126.20MB
and 4.25MB per second of use on the down end, so 42.5MB

Do, a total of 148.7 MB used.

The data use completely a function of the speed of the connection as the duration of the test doesn’t change based on the speed of the connection.

this is not new (I figured this out in May of 2015 when beta testing the Refund plans and spent about $2 per speed test (refund data prices are $15 per GB and LTE speeds where average (about 130 MB uses per test) ), needless to say I quickly stop running test on Cell

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.