Testing the Hold feature

These test results are probably unique to my Panasonic home phone system so your results will probably be different but useful.

My handsets have both Hold and Flash buttons.

In these tests the calling phone is a conventional land line, the called phone is connected to the ATA.

Both phones are on my two-line home phone system so the handsets are identical.

The Grandstream method for putting a call on hold is to press the flash button if the analog phone has one… Doing that on the called phone hangs up the call.

Pressing the Hold button on the called phone puts the call on hold BUT while on hold I hear a LOUD dial tone on the called phone, silence on the calling phone.

Pressing the Hold button on the calling phone puts the call on hold but while on hold I hear a QUIET dial tone on the calling phone, silence on the called phone.

Is “hold” a feature of the service or of your phone? It seems to me a feature of your phone so any results would have nothing at all to do with the service?

To see how the service reacts when it is placed on hold and to see if a Grandstream feature was incorporated into RW’s firmware.

This is how the hole feature is described by Grandstrream:

1 Like

@billg - thanks for sharing your test info. Also did a few hold tests using flash button on our old handset but have not compiled the results yet. Some results seem a little strange. The hold function might not have a big impact on end users depending on how RW implements it.

But hey, isn’t this part of the fun doing beta testing :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hold is pretty handy when you have a 2-line phone system.

Doesn’t a 2-line phone system have hold built in and it doesn’t matter what you plug in to it? Mine does. I can put line one on hold and switch to line 2 if I have the ATA plugged in, a POTS line plugged in, a fax machine, my finger or nothing at all. It is completely independent of what’s plugged in and is a simple mechanism that leaves the line off-hook but switches the active line to the other line.

Yes, I believe this is the way mine works. Hold is also used as a technique for muting the mike on plain old handsets. I suppose this is why it was built into the ATA and toggled with the flash button and “hook flash.”

Did a test today just for the heck of it –

1. Used handset on ATA to call cell phone associated with ATA.

2. Answered cell phone - good connection between cell phone and handset.

3. Flash handset connected to ATA. Got dial tone.

4. Use handset connected to ATA to dial out to off network landline - good call between handset and landline.

5. Flash handset again - now have good connection between all three devices; cell phone associated with ATA, handset attached to ATA, and landline.

Note: Works the same way if you dial another on-network RW cellphone in step 4.

Handset is an old Panasonic KX-T2315 Desk Phone with single line. It is connected to the ATA only. Not sure how I’d use this but thought it was neat to have three devices connected without using 3-way call function of cell phone. Might have to see if I can get 4 devices connected using cell phone 3-way calling…just for grins :grinning:

Oh WOW. I’m wondering how many of the Grandstream features have been adopted. In case you don’t have the extensive manual for it you will find it here:

It has a good description of using the flash feature on handsets so equipped. Now I’m wondering if the dial tone I got when I pressed flash on my handset was construed by the ATA as a setup for 3-way calling.

I think that’s a reasonable assumption.

1 Like

After re-reading the 3-way conferencing section of the HT-80X user manual it looks like all I did was repeat the steps they gave and that it indeed uses the Bellcore style 3-way Conference capability. Just having fun…

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer