Text messages to Verizon subscribers include encoded characters

What phone do you have? Moto X4

What plan are you on? 1GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? yes…

Issue Description

Half the people I text say my text come in, plus there is garbled text along side it like this

Hi @shanet.rc6aap,

Might these half of folks you send text messages to be on Verizon? I ask because there’s an issue Republic is aware of and actively investigating on that. If the folks on the receiving end are on Verizon, I’m afraid for now, it’s a matter of waiting for Republic to resolve the issue. On the plus side if I’m right about them being on Verizon, it’s not your phone or theirs.

yes! I know 2 of them complaining about it are

1 Like

Hi @shanet.rc6aap,

This is an issue we began seeing this morning with text messages delivered from Republic Wireless and Google Voice to Verizon phones, especially Verizon phones using the Verizon Messenger app.

We’re investigating the matter, but have not yet isolated the cause.

ok thank you!

2 Likes

I’m sending SMS messages to non-Republic users and they’re telling me that when they get my message it has an extra encrypted message that is received right after with the same message. It looks normal on my screen but they’re showing the messages twice, once encrypted and once normal on their side.
I’m sending from Moto G4 and using Android native messenger app and have been using it for some time with no issues. Seems to be consistent either from WiFi or from LTE.
Any ideas what would be causing this?

1 Like

Hi @peterg.vog5dh,

I’ve moved your post into an existing topic on the matter. Are your recipients Verizon subscribers?

Thank you @southpaw, yes they’re all Verizon customers. Same issue as reported here.

1 Like

Hi @peterg.vog5dh and @shanet.rc6aap,

Engineers with a partner involved in the transmission of our text messages have made a change and we believe the issue is now resolved. Please let us know if your Verizon friends still see encoded messages when you text them!

2 Likes

Yes working good now

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation, and for your patience @shanet.rc6aap!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer