Text Messaging Apps That Work with Republic

Republic currently supports two text messaging apps for use with its unique blended WiFi/cell service. Those messaging apps are Messages by Google and Republic Anywhere.

Additionally, the following text messaging apps are known to work, however, Republic does not support their use.

• Textra
  • chomp SMS
  • Signal

Textra

Textra is arguably the most well known third party messaging app after Android Messages. To use it rather than Android Messages as your messaging app:

1. Download Textra from Google’s Play Store here: Textra SMS - Android Apps on Google Play.
  2. Once installed to your phone, open Textra, then tap “Make Default App”.
  3. Tap 3 dots upper right.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Scroll to, then tap MMS.
  6. Tap MMS Behavior.
  7. Select System.

chomp SMS

From the same publisher as Textra, there is chomp SMS. To use it rather than Android Messages as your messaging app:

1. Download chomp SMS from Google’s Play Store here: chomp SMS - Android Apps on Google Play.
  2. Once installed to your phone, open chompSMS, then tap “Make Default App”.
  3. Tap 3 dots upper right.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Scroll to, then tap MMS.
  6. Tap MMS Behavior.
  7. Select System.

Signal

Signal is a popular messaging app among those who wish an added measure of privacy afforded by encrypting communication. For end to end encryption to work both ends of the conversation need to be using Signal. When used this way, Signal bypasses standard SMS/MMS communications channels much as Apple’s iMessage does. Like iMessage, Signal also has the ability to fall back to standard SMS/MMS channels when communicating with someone using a messaging app other than Signal. These communications are not encrypted. To use Signal in place of Android Messages.

1. Download Signal from Google’s Play Store here: Signal Private Messenger - Android Apps on Google Play.
  2. Once installed to your phone, open Signal.
  3. You’ll be asked to register your phone number. Nothing nefarious, this is how Signal enables encrypted communication with other Signal users and may be undone as described here.
  4. When verification completes, tap “Use as default SMS app”.

It’s entirely possible other third party apps will work as well. I’ve seen reference to Handcent, Messages + SMS and Pulse as doing so.

Getting notifications that text messages have been received. Moto G4
Why do I get a message that Republic does not support the default messaging app on my Samsung S9?
Looking for a clean polished texting app that will work with Republic
Looking for a clean polished texting app that will work with Republic
Why do I get a message that Republic does not support the default messaging app on my Samsung S9?

I tried Textra and MMS pictures still don’t come through and I get a message saying it is unable to retrieve them. This happens on wifi or mobile data.

I’m having this same issue with my S7. I’m so frustrated. Have you found anything that works?

The issue was very specific to WiFI only, your issue different than this post implies. Have you tried connecting to WiFi and dialing ##8647#*#* ?

Is the issue both sending and receiving?

Sending pix with Textra didn’t work for me on my Galaxy S7, either.

If you set the MMS > system setting and it is still not working then you may have other issues that only support can help with. Does any app work for MMS?

The latest update fixed it. Yeah!