Thanksgiving Challenge: Name 1 thing about Republic Wireless that you're thankful for

I’m thankful that everyone is able to find answers to the questions they have - in this supportive and smart community members have created!

On a personal note, I’m thankful for the money I’m saving - or rather, how I get to spend it now. Taking a family vacation this weekend.

9 Likes

The one thing I am most thankful for with republic wireless are the help tools available to help with mine and my families issues and to help others with their issues by sharing with them.

8 Likes

My wife and I have been customers of RW since June, 2013. We’ve saved a ton of money since we switched from vw and the one best thing I am thankful for is the rebate for unused cell data. It is so nice to see each month, “Here is the money we are returning to you for unused services!” Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

8 Likes

I am thankful that many, many years ago I took the chance on Republic Wireless.

After many years and eight phones, our family couldn’t be prouder of our choice. I have nothing but good things to say about Republic Wireless and their stellar team.

Keep up the good work!!!

Walo

12 Likes

I’m thankful for 4 years of savings for reliable phone service!

7 Likes

Southpaw, can you change my username to aFloridian if that’s okay?

At the beginning of this tread I said that RW resolved the issue with shortcodes, but I didn’t mention that I was thankful for that.

These are some things I’m thankful for about Republic Wireless:

1. I’m Thankful That Republic Wireless is Continually Innovating.
This is huge to me because I’m a person that likes technology. I have had a habit of reading a lot of technology articles. My first smartphone was a Verizon iPhone 4, and I definitely was a brand advocate of Apple and still am, to a certain extent. I watched the Apple keynotes, I read Appleinsider.com every day probably for 2ish years, and etc. and etc. I still read their articles from time to time. What has been exciting to me about Apple is their commitment to innovation. I wasn’t just excited about where Apple was as a company when they came out with their latest iPhone; I kept on reading about them (I probably spent too much time doing so…) because I was excited about where they were going. I liked their innovation. BTW, I’m writing this on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro.

Someone had mentioned something about RW to me before, but I think I really started learning about RW for myself when I was thinking of reducing my cellphone bill further. I believe I learned about RW through a tech article. At any rate, I read up about RW and followed the RW Facebook page for about a year before I became a member. I read about the direction the cellphone industry was going when I read articles such as “How plain, old WiFi will revolutionize the cellular industry” from the Washington Post and “Where Do You Really Need a Carrier’s Wireless Network?” from Bloomberg BusinessWeek.

I couldn’t embrace the thought of my phone hanging up on a call and then recalling the person I was just on the line with when I switched from wifi to cellular networks, so I didn’t initially go with RW. Afterwards, the Moto X looked awesome to me, but the upfront cost of a $299 phone was a little bit too much for me since I was becoming more and more interested in the phone plan over the phone. However, RW came out with the 1st Generation Moto E…I hesitated because I was in a Sprint roaming network, but being the inquisitive person I was with phone plans (I had been with probably 6 or so carriers in 3 or 4 years), I decided to give RW a try.

I have experienced things like dropped calls with RW (which has gotten better), but one reason why I’m still a RW customer is because I believe that RW will continue to get better over time. The improvement with shortcodes is just one example.

In the time that I’ve been with RW:

• My 1st Gen Moto E was able in time not only to do wifi to cellular handoffs, but it became able to do cellular to wifi handoffs, too.

• I can text people on my computer, a which is a feature I use more or less daily.

• Shortcodes aren’t an issue now.

• Multimedia messaging has gotten better. I remember that it seemed like I was missing out on some group texts before the 3.0 plans, but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

• I had an opportunity to experience the refund plans–I actually like that system better, but I’m still happy for the 3.0 plans. I’m glad that RW has tried to experiment with different phone plan options. I’m definitely happy for the additions in the quality of service (Republic Anywhere & MMS specifically) with the 3.0 plans.

• I’m glad that RW phones can be sold and reactivated for other members. If my memory serves me correct, that wasn’t possible for awhile before I was a member and/or when I first became a member.

• I’m glad that I now have an unlocked GSM phone because this phone can actually be sold to people that don’t even use RW if and when I ever want to sell it.

• There are a lot more phone options that people can choose from, and with some phones, people can do BYOP, too.

• I also have been thankful to see part of the RW’s roadmap in past–from Maestro to Tempo before it was actually implemented. (I know that Maestro has changed to the 3.0 plans now).

I’m sure that there are a lot of improvements that I’m not even mentioning that have occurred in the 2.5 or so years that I’ve been a member of RW. I think it would be interesting to have a thread where members highlight the improvements they have seen/liked since they have been members.

Seeing people’s ideas in the Think Tank was also pretty impressive to me as well. Knowing that RW’s parent company was Bandwidth.com, which had worked with Skype also helped me know that innovation was deep in RW’s roots.

Wow. This is just point #1 for me about Republic Wireless. In addition to being a person that likes technology, I like to write, too. :wink: I have more to write, but I guess I’ll have to save the other points I would like to articulate for another time (in the near future though).

9 Likes

:sparkle: poof :sparkle:
You’re now aFloridian.

Well, you did challenge us to name one thing - apparently that is the challenge, limiting ourselves to a single thing!!

3 Likes

LOL. I guess that is a real challenge for me and I’m sure many other members of this RW community. :slight_smile:

Thanks for changing my name user name, too.

5 Likes

Wow. I will not even try to engage your bullet points, summed it up well.

I think we already have, and you have pronounced it in an elegant fashion.

:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I am thankful for the low cost plans.

7 Likes

I have been with RW since 11/11/2011.
I went from the LG Optimus, to the Defy XT, and finally to the Moto X1 ($25 plan).
My spouse came on board when the Moto X2 was released by RW (onto $10 plan).
Thanks for all you have done over the years to keep prices down and services competitive.
One thing I am really thankful for was when RW got MMS working with more service providers.
I wish short codes worked completely though.

6 Likes

Hi @muerte33,

If you’re having trouble with short codes, please let us know which ones. (Not in the thread though!! - By support ticket.) We work hard with all the parties involved in short code delivery to resolve those that are not working.

4 Likes

I could write a long list, but since the thread asks for 1 thing, here’s mine:

Dual Carriers. As my wife and I travel in our RV, we want the best coverage. We both have Moto G5+ phones on the RW 3.0 plan, but she has CDMA and mine is a GSM. Coverage varies from one system to the next. It’s very nice to have at least one phone working all of the time.

5 Likes

I also forgot to mention that I’m thankful for the ability to tether. It’s not something I do often, but it has come in handy when wifi stopped working, and I’ve used tethering in other situations as well.

I’m also thankful for the ability for the 3.0 phones to have Android updates sooner because RW no longer is in a custom ROM (if I’m saying this correctly…).

3 Likes
  1. Customer Service.
    2 forum
    3 And RW it self for the service an the personnel that make it work great.
6 Likes

I’m thankful for the new phone offerings either through RW directly or the BYOP program which has greatly expanded the choice of quality phones for all budgets!

3 Likes

I am thankful that no matter how stupid my question or concern is, someone will always answer it calmly, and as often as I need it to understand it. Then, they have a tutorial as well, and follow up. Love the support,

4 Likes

For the RW Huawei 5W to be only $49 right now is amazing. I remember when people had to spend $299 to get the RW Moto X 1st gen, and that was the only option available I believe at the time in their store. I came to RW when I believe the 1st Gen Moto E was around $99. That was RW’s lowest price point at the time. The 16gb 5W is hands down better than the 4gb 1st Gen Moto E, too!

2. I’m thankful that Republic Wireless’ innovations have saved me money.

As I articulated in point #1, I am am definitely interested in reading about companies that innovate. It seems like in the cellular industry that innovations are justifications to charge the customer more for their products and services. I’m not saying those prices aren’t justified; innovation does come at a cost, and smartphones have cannibalized other devices. Therefore, even if a phone price is high, then customers might be saving money if that phone replaces other devices they would buy. However, Republic Wireless caught and has kept my attention because it’s a company that has been focused on creating innovations to save people money.

I’ve been with 7 phone carriers in the past 7 years or so, but I’ve spent the least amount of money per month with Republic Wireless. When I became a customer, I chose the unlimited talk & text with no data plan, and I spent about $12.84/mo. I have been thankful that I got the 6 month of free service + 1gb data, and I spent around $3.84 for taxes and fees most of those months (1 or 2 months I bought more data). That’s amazing for me considering that my bill with Verizon was around $108/mo in 2011. Now my bill is around $23 and change for the unlimited talk, text, and 1gb of data. I’m thankful to be on the basic data plan so that even if I use up my 1gb, I will have data at slower speeds–at least until January 15th. That even adds more value to my plan as well as Republic Anywhere that keeps on getting better.

Especially when I left Verizon and went into the no contract world–when contracts were still in style–I started to view contracts as bondage. When I helped people switch to no contract plans on various carriers, I would tell them that I was helping them get out of bondage. I also started to view $600+ phones as smoke screens to get people on expensive contract plans. I really liked my $600 or so Verizon iPhone 4, but I began to not like my $108/mo phone plan. One reason that I’ve been able to switch to various carriers is because I became more interested in my phone plan than my phone. Before I’ve switched carriers, I calculated how many months would it take for me to start saving money after I bought a phone and went on their monthly plan. I would buy cheap phones as well. I had to do some mental preparation, but I left Verizon, and I took the plunge into the no contract world with a shiny “dumb phone”. The most appealing part of that dumb phone to me was that it had a keyboard. I used my iPhone 4 on wifi for anything I wanted to do besides texting and calling.

When I came to RW, I got my first Android, a 1st Gen Moto E. It wasn’t a dumb phone, but I could justify the purchase of a $99 phone in my mind because the monthly plans were so affordable. When I lost my phone, I was able to get a used 1st Gen Moto X from Swappa.com for around $70. I was able to pay $129 for my Huawei Ascend 5W, but I got 6 months of free service, so that price was very easy to justify in my mind as well.

I’m thankful that my monthly phone plan bills have been reduced, and I’m using my best Android phone so far as a result of switching to Republic Wireless.

By the way, I gave my used 1st Gen Moto X to my friends who live in a foreign country, and they’ve been really thankful for being able to use it while they were here in the US as well as in the foreign country. They used the refund plan while they visited the US, and then when they went back to living abroad, they were able to use the $5/mo (plus taxes and fees) wifi only plan. The wifi only plan can be still be used for older RW phones, which too, is something to be thankful for. RW has been my friend’s most affordable phone plan option, and they’ve been happy with their service.

2 Likes

3. I’m thankful that I’ve been a part of some of Republic Wireless’s beta tests and contributed some ideas to the Think Tank.

I like the young, innovative mindset of Republic Wireless because it seems like a company that hasn’t finished developing. I think that especially in the tech field, if a company doesn’t continually innovate, then it dies. I like that Republic Wireless asks its customers for feedback, and I believe they really listen–even there is a strong opposing view they have to deal with. The grace and willingness to listen that is sometimes displayed in this forum as well as the Facebook page is worthy of imitation for social media managers. I feel like I’ve had a practical social media marketing class as I sometimes sit back and watch how Republic Wireless responds to customer feedback that is not always pleasant; I’ve applied some of the lessons I’ve learned here to other things I do online.

In addition to many other things, Republic Wireless has responded to the feedback for more phone options and faster Android updates.

I remember the days when I was with Republic Wireless, and my 1st Gen Moto E could handover from wifi to cellular, but it couldn’t handover from cell to wifi. I felt privileged to beta test that and few other things with Republic Wireless’ labs.

I feel like I have a voice with a company that is seeking to save people money on their cellphone bills. I like that because I know how much I was paying for cellphone service in 2010, and ever since I sought to find more affordable options for myself around 2011-2012 and onward, I’ve tried to empower others with the information that I’ve gathered because I want other people to save money, too.

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer