The person who initiates the call is not hearing ringing

What phone do you have?
My wife very recently acquired a Moto G Power, but this problem happened with her last phone as well, a (I think) Samsung J7. Both purchased from RW.

What plan are you on?
My Choice + 1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Both.

Issue Description

She initiates a call. The recipient’s phone rings, but she hears no ringing (and so is not sure if the call is going through, though it does). We both use RW, but she says this happens with others, meaning non-RW users. We’ve experimented with both on wifi, her on wifi, other person on data, vice versa, and both on data. Same results. The calls itself seems fine, though she sometimes does not hear the other person speaking at first.

So she’s not hearing a ringback tone. The only time I can recall having a similar experience was when placing a call on WiFi when my router was enabled for IPV6. Calls placed over cellular were always fine. I fixed the issue by disabling IPV6. Sorry, I don’t have a definitive answer for you, I just wanted to relay my experience with a lack of ringback tone.

1 Like

I have been having the same issue on my Google Pixel 4a recently. It started a couple of weeks ago and would happen most often between my husband’s iPhone (AT&T user) and my RW line. When I call him, especially when away from wifi, it will not ring and he is on his 2nd “hello??” by the time I hear him. Also having issues with his calls not ringing my phone and going right to voicemail, again when I’m not in wifi area mostly, but happens in both cases. No rings, and no missed call indicator. I’d like to know what’s going on because my dog’s vet tried to reach me several times today and could not get through.

Hi @jenniferm.h8fwxk,

I’m sorry to see that no one responded to your post. It looks like our Help Team was able to assist you, but please let us know if you’re still having issues.

Hi @tobiasb.xjp4zj,

Are you still having the issues you described in March? Did you want to continue to troubleshoot with our Community?

The problem still, occasionally, happens. Not was frequently as with the previous phone. We’re learning to live with it.

Thanks for the update, and I’m glad it’s not happening as frequently. If you notice any common factors among the times it does happen, we may be able to get a little further in figuring it out. It could be tricky to determine, as it might be have to do with which carrier you’re calling, or how calls are being routed, and may not be something the Community can help resolve.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer