This is a continuation of another discusion

As I was replying to a question from yesterday the thread closed to where I could not reply. I’ll see if I can pick it up here.

Thanks for the reply. I’m a technician. I have a basic understanding of cellular frequencies, bands, maps, phone specs and such. The T-Mobile map shows I have strong 4g LTE coverage here. The Sprint map shows I have strong CDMA coverage here. The AT&T map shows I have strong 4g LTE here but they don’t seem to offer Motorola devices.

When I research further the T-Mobile 4g LTE map here does not list the Moto Z Play as a compatible device. It does say I have 1900Mhz band 2 on the tower here and the Moto Z Play also shows it has 1900Mhz Band 2. However the phone is not listed as a covered device on the T-Mobile coverage map. Also I read that even if the tower and device have the same band and frequency that does not mean that the cell site is optimized for them to be compatible.

I also noticed the T-Mobile coverage as a whole and 4g LTE on T-Mobile is very sparse in rural areas and non-existent in some states while the Sprint CDMA coverage is far better in rural areas and throughout most of the US.

So basically it’s still “clear as mud” as to weather the Moto Z Play will work here with republic/T-Mobile 4g LTE.

It’s sounding like I’ll be better off staying with a Sprint CDMA device if I stay with Republic. Verizon looks best with a Moto Z Play Droid. It’s the same phone but can works on CDMA or 4g LTE. Verizon has excellent 4g LTE coverage with that phone. They offer a 5Gb data plan at $40/mo plus the cost of the phone. That was the cheapest plan. It’s twice as expensive or more. I don’t use phones a lot so I tend to go for the less expensive options. It seems can’t get the phone I want at a decent plan rate with decent coverage. All in all pretty confusing stuff.

If the coverage checker says that the Moto Z isn’t optimized for your area that means that Republic’s data, which is a combination of things like the coverage maps, user data, return rates, etc etc then you’re likely to have a bad experience with a GSM only phone in your area.

1 Like

here the earlier thread I would like to upgrade my Moto x 1st gen to a Moto Z Play. Republic info states my area is not optimized for this. Can someone explain this in detail?

it’s not lock down (just a correct answer was marked

the Republic coverage checker uses more than just coverage maps to determine if coverage is good any any zip code (and may have incomplete data to base that decision on.)

the AT&T map has no effect on Republic coverage (ditto with Verizon coverage maps) (unless you are looking at those carriers or MVNO’s of those carriers)

Motorola stop make carrier models (other than the Droids) so the carrier maps no longer have the option to check those phones but they should still work and you will have similar results if one picked a Samsung S7 on those map

General rules for carrier coverage are

Verizon has the best (in both coverage and network quality) and I don’t see that changing (though there are pockets where they may be worst) (Verizon also has a exclusive on the Moto Z Play CDMA variant the Droid version)

AT&T is next best in both (in both coverage and network quality) and in many areas these are really the only options

T-Mobile network Quality is there but coverage out side of urban areas is has been more of a miss than hit (though it has improved greatly

Sprint has better rural coverage but the network quality is not as good as T-Mobile

US Cellular is barely a nation wide career with pockets in the west , east and middle but is barely a 5th network

as for the Moto Z Play here on Republic you can still order one and try it out as Republic still has a 14 day money back policy (though you may want to create a ticket and find out why they think your area is not a good choice for GSM Republic Help

also if you post your zip we may also recheck and verify the coveage

I would be careful with any network generalizations.

First, while what you say may be true where you are, it can vary widely in other locations. In my area, and for a good 50 miles in every direction, T-Mobile is a distant fourth behind Sprint for quality and this is after their deployment of Band 12.

Where my in-laws are in Florida, Verizon is terrible, AT&T is terrible, T-Mobile has the best coverage and Sprint is a pretty close second.

On Long Island my AT&T coverage is nearly useless. I want to thrown my phone in the ocean every time I’m there. All three other carriers are pretty darned good.

It also depends which coverage you are getting. AT&T is great as an AT&T post-paid customer who has some gaps filled with T-Mobile coverage, but not as good as a pre-paid (or Cricket) customer because you lost that roaming coverage. Same with T-Mobile. Even more so with Sprint.

So, don’t listen to root metrics, commericals or anything else. Talk to people in your area about which network is working for them.

coverage does very by location but I maker my generalization on conversation with long haul truckers who drive the country cost to coast and rely on cell data for everything and they have multiple carriers hotpots due to coverage issues , but they still say Verizon is best and works in most areas

Certainly one sample, and if you spend your time on interstates, probably a good one. On the other hand, if you’re the average person that spends 95%+ of their time in a specific set of local locations, the national interstate view of a long-haul trucker is likely irrelevant.

Message an
Expert customer