Tips for using Google Voice as a primary number? Especially with texting

What phone do you have? Motorola Z4

What plan are you on? 1GB data, talk & text

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
yes, 1 GB of data

Issue Description

My primary number is now with Google Voice, and the number I am forwarding to is the Republic Wireless number. I can get the phone to properly display my Google Voice number on outbound calls, but I can’t get it to do the same for text messages. I don’t want to have to go through the Google Voice app for all my messaging. It’s already bad enough that it has to switch from the stock dialer to the GV dialer when making outbound calls.

Quote simply, there isn’t a way to do what you want. You have to use either the Google Voice or the Hangouts App connected to your Google Voice account in order to have outbound texts going from your GV number.

On the dialer issue though, you can install the GV App and then select the “Always” option for outbound calls to your use your GV number. Then you won’t have to use the GV dialer to make calls.

Ok. I was afraid of that. There’s a setting in Messages that lets you change your phone number (under Advanced), and I thought that maybe it would change the number as it appeared on outgoing texts. But obviously, it didn’t work, or else I wouldn’t have contacted you.

I’m not going to be able to live with going directly through Hangouts or GV for texting. What a bummer. It would’ve been a great workaround for international calling. Google Fi just doesn’t have good coverage at work on my phone (Moto Z4) and the WiFi calling isn’t as good on it either.

It does not. The number isn’t set by the app (for good reason, can you imagine the number of spam/spoofed number texts if that was possible?), it is set by the network.

That sounded like it was too good to be true also. Man, there’s an opportunity to get messaging right and have an international calling access, but it seems like Google is blocking it in favor of selling Pixels on Fi. I’m left out in the cold with my Motorola, which I really like, and a reasonable cell plan like RW. I guess I have to wait for this big T-Mobile Sprint merger to go through. I’m not happy about that either, because RW and Google Voice really suit a lot of my needs. Big bummer. I wish there were more options.

I also use GV as my primary number and have gotten used to using the GV app for texting. What features of Messages do you like that are not in the GV app?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer