Touch tones not detected

I have the new Moto G Plus and my husband has the first generation Moto X and neither one of us can use the touch tones while on a call. I work from home and so utilizing my Wi-Fi phone is vital as I have conference calls and have to key in a pin number. I have looked at previous posts but when I go to my settings I don’t have the options they talk about. Any suggestions???

open the dialer (the main phone icon) and tap the 3 vertical dot menu in the upper right (part of the search bar) then select setting, then select calls then select DTMF Tones (this should have a pop up then lets you select “Normal” or “Long” you want it to show “Long” (if you can get this we may need to go though some more steps)

during the call we find it is also useful to wait 1-2 seconds between presses

also some have had better luck with WiFi off during the presses

I can’t speak for the Moto G4 PLUS directly as I do not have that phone. My Moto X Pure, however, like the G4 PLUS is running Marshmallow (Android 6). The relevant settings are accessed by doing the following:

1. Open the Dialer (Phone app).
  2. Tap 3 dots upper right.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Sounds and vibration.
  5. Verify Dialpad tones is checked.
  6. Tap Dialpad tone length.
  7. Tap Long.

ETA: In addition to @drm186’s suggestions, some have found muting their phone’s microphone to be helpful when entering touch tones.

Interesting. Just following along and I, too, have a Moto X Pure on Marshmallow.

Got through Step 5 with Dialpad tones being checked but nowhere did I see a Dialpad tone length.

Ford

That is interesting. On my MXP the Dialpad tone length is directly below Dialpad tones. Would you be willing to indulge me in something? If you dial ##786## does anything happen or are you returned to the Dialer? I’m wondering if this is a GSM vs. CDMA thing? My MXP is on CDMA. If nothing happens with that Dialer sequence you’re on GSM.

I am on GSM and, as you said, nothing happened with the sequence that was dialed.

So, it would seem long DTMF tones is a CDMA thing. Makes some sense as legacy Republic phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2) were all CDMA (Sprint) phones. Well, that blows up another long-standing troubleshooting technique useful for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calling as well.

Message an
Expert customer