Transfer contact/data with no panel display on broken phone

Oops! Dropped my Nexus6 phone and darkness fell upon my screen. The phone rings, the alarm works, I can receive calls from Bluetooth in car, but alas I can’t live in my car. I’ve ordered a new phone through Republic wireless, but will I be able to transfer data. I want to keep my same phone number. Please rescue me from this abyss. Debra

Hi @debrav,

Sorry to hear about the 6P!

Moving service won’t be terribly difficult. In fact, it might be as simple as moving the SIM from your 6P to its’ replacement. Otherwise once you receive the new phone, you’ll start the activation process. Republic offers a great walkthrough here: Activate | Republic Wireless. You will be prompted to sign into the appropriate Republic account. To upgrade an existing line to a new phone, select “replace existing line”. You should see the phone number you want to replace listed at this step. Continue through the activation process, then you’re all set! Detailed activation guidance here: Activate My Phone.

Any user content (contacts, photos etc.) synced to your Google account will populate the new phone when the same Google account used on the 6P is added to the new phone. User content not synced to your Google account and living only on the 6P is a different matter. Since the phone still seems to work to some extent, I suggest seeing if a computer recognizes the phone when plugged in via a USB cable. If it does, copy what you want off the phone to your computer, then plug the new phone into your computer and transfer it back to the same locations.

I have a similar problem as the original poster.

Now having done some internet research and trying the various suggested solutions to no avail, I think my situation is pretty hopeless but I thought I’d post here on the Community Forum because savvy and knowledgeable RW users have saved my bacon before.

Here’s the background - my old Moto X 1st Gen was having all sorts of “Camera busy - camera unable to start” errors last December. Seeing that I probably use the camera more than the calling part of the phone, I really needed a working camera. Republic was running their launch sale on the Moto Z Play at the time so I bought that as a replacement phone (fantastic battery life, although just still not a great camera IMO).

Anyway, fast forward to late May - I accidentally dropped the Z Play on a linoleum floor and the display started to show all sorts of expanding color blotches on the screen. (I had dropped it a few times in the previous 5 months, usually on a hardwood floor, with no damage so this was news to me.

Yes, I had a screen protector on the phone face, but no actual case, so I’ve learned my lesson. The second strike against me is that I had not executed a backup in the 5 months I had the phone in use. With my old phones I would do a USB data cable backup of my photos to my laptop but since Lenova/Motorola ships the Z Play with a one piece wall wart power block with permanently attached cable, I never had a USB-C cable for the new port on the Z Play. (I found that very annoying - why couldn’t they have continued the practice of shipping their new phone with a wall power block that had a USB cable that plugs into the power block and can thus double as a data cable for a laptop??!)

But I digress… my current situation: screen is not totally black. Can barely tell when phone is turning off or on via the power button. Cannot be sure phone is on and unlocked since I cannot tell if “blind” 4-digit passcode is being entered correctly or if fingerprint scanner is still working (it was for the day or so before the screen when entirely black.

Bought a micro-USB to USB-C adapter to add on to the end of my older USB-to-micrd-USB data/charging cable so that I could use it with my Z Play. The first time I hooked my black-screen Z Play to my laptop, I got the dialogue box that the laptop was installing a new driver so that was a good sign that the laptop recognized that the Z Play was plugged into the laptop.

However, ever time I waited for he auto-detected “Installing new driver” message box to disappear, it was always followed by by a Code 10 error message saying that the driver did not load successfully. I googled that and followed advice of trying to update the drivers manually, but that also never completed successfully.

I ended up getting a replacement Z Play through Motorola’s Premium support service where they sent me out a replacement Z Play and I’m supposed to send in mine. When I received the replacement phone, I was hoping I could hook it up to my laptop and let it load the necessary driver successfully, after which I could hook up my broken-screen Z Play and see if I could view and copy my photos from my phone.

Well, the replacement Z Play had no problem installing the necessary driver immediately. I then replaced it with my broken-screen Z Play hoping that the installed-driver would also work for the broken phone - but no dice. When I put the broken-screen Z Play on the USB cable to my laptop, it once again tried to load its own “MTP USB device” driver which never successfully completes.

So I’m still searching for a way to copy my photo files from a broken-screen display Moto Z Play phone before I have to return it tomorrow to Motorola as agreed to in the Premium advance repair service I got.

BTW, I’ve read online that “USB debugging” has to have been turned on in my old Z Play to have a chance to see and copy the files across a USB data cable to a laptop. Does anyone know if “USB debugging” is turned on by default on a new Z Play phone? Since I’ve never connected the phone to a laptop (since it didn’t ship with a compatible cable and I procrastinated on buying one or the adapters for the longest time), I never turned on the USB debugging myself.

Finally, the Google Photos auto backup was never turned on either, since I logged onto my Google acct on my laptop and saw no photos had been uploaded.

Any additional advice or suggested next steps would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just noticed that there was an important typo in my posting: “my current situation: screen is not totally black.”

It should read, “screen is now totally black” - that’s why this is so difficult; I can’t see anything on the display to be able to get the phone into any possible helpful modes.

paulf.lrkq4k
July 5
Just noticed that there was an important typo in my posting: “my current situation: screen is not totally black.”

It should read, “screen is now totally black” - that’s why this is so difficult; I can’t see anything on the display to be able to get the phone into any possible helpful modes.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

paulf.lrkq4k
July 4
I have a similar problem as the original poster. Now having done some internet research and trying the various suggested solutions to no avail, I think my situation is pretty hopeless but I thought I’d post here on the Community Forum because savvy and knowledgeable RW users have saved my bacon be…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.