Transfer from Moto X to Google Pixel 4a

I think it is time to replace My Moto X (1st Gen). It is excruciatingly slow, some apps will not run due to outdated software, and call service (wifi and cell) is not very good. Will text messages, apps, contacts, and photos transfer to the Google Pixel 4a with the Google Backup option? The reason I ask is that the Moto X does not allow me to select what is being backed up. Backup is on but I can’t know for sure what is being backed up.

Thanks,
Jason

@jasonh.iij11f Welcome to the community! Many things will move automatically, the Pixel activation process is pretty good at that but for those things that don’t move there’s a great overview here on how to get them moved:

Thanks for the quick reply. That’s a good article but it mentions to “make sure that the back up options are set to “on” (the specific options you see may vary depending on what version of Android is on your old phone).” My dinosaur of a phone doesn’t give me the option to turn on or off specific things to include in the backup. I’ll just have to test it and use a third party app if everything doesn’t transfer. Thanks again - Jason.

Your text messages will not transfer through Google backup and restore on the Moto X (1st gen). That phone is too old to offer this feature, but there are third party backup apps that can do this for you. Most everything else should transfer, but there may be some apps that you’ll have to manually install. Here’s Republic Wireless’s help article on backup and restore:

Since I am using the Republic Anywhere app for text messaging, once I login on my new phone, will the old messages be on my new phone eliminating the need to use a third-party app for transferring messages?

With Republic Anywhere, messages from the previous 30 days will be synced to the new endpoint.

Message an
Expert customer