Transferred number

Already successfully transferred a number to ATT. However, forgot to cancel service until today (and even now, Republic gives me no clear indication I did so successfully). How can I be sure I’m done being billed? And since I already transferred this number, why was the account still open? Will it affect my new service (I indicated I wanted to transfer the number, but as I say, it’s already in use with ATT). My only guess is that since this number was transferred to a new phone, the old account was left open on the old phone. . . .

A line will be cancel automatically when the port is complete, [note this can take up to 72 hours after the number starts work on new phone] to cancel before completion risk losing the number [even when it working on the new carrier] as canceling release the number, I would open a ticket and see what Republic supports says the status of your account

Hi @scottj.eqohsu,

No need to open a ticket on this one. Republic will notify you via email within 72 hours of the completion of your number’s transfer (port) to AT&T. That might take longer than you or AT&T would expect. Please allow me to provide some context. Republic numbers are classified as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). Republic’s use of VoIP is part of the nature of it’s blended WiFi/cell service. There is nothing Republic can do to change this regulatory classification.

For transfer (porting) purposes, VoIP numbers are treated the same as traditional landlines (wireline is the more correct telecom industry term). Porting your number will, typically, take longer (days as opposed to hours). If you wish a more definitive timeline, please inquire with your new service provider. Generally, the service provider gaining your business determines the pace of the porting process. AT&T itself states a minimum of 5 business days for a wireline transfer. Please see question 14 of AT&T’s linked FAQ here: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/transferyournumber.html?tab=2#q14.

If you’re past all that, your Republic service will automatically cancel. Republic will issue a prorated refund for any unused service. Your Republic account itself will remain open indefinitely, however, you should see no phones associated with that account when signed in here: https://republicwireless.com/account/phones.

Meanwhile, please don’t take steps to proactively cancel your Republic service. Doing so risks loss of your number.

It has been over a month.

Is the phone still listed as being active when you sign into your Republic account here: Phones | Republic Wireless? If not, you’re not being billed for service. As mentioned in my earlier reply, your account itself remains open indefinitely.

Hi @scottj.eqohsu,

If the phone has remained active for a month after the number has safely ported away to another carrier, please open a ticket so our help team can look into it and get everything straightened out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.