Transferring Files from internal storage to SD Card on Moto E6

Since I am running out of internal space, I want to transfer files to the SD card. I never get an option to move a file. I formatted the card for internal storage. Please advise.

Hello @edwind.rbskac

You don’t get the option to move files because when you format as internal, your SD card becomes part of the phone storage (kinda linked with the phones own internal storage). What you’re looking to do is available by formatting it as “portable”. (Tho it still sounds like you’re going to need a larger SD card)

Here, this should help :slight_smile:

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-e-family/moto-e6/documents/MS141487

3 Likes

If it the SD is part of the phone storage, why do I get a notification that my storage is almost filled. I manged to move some apps to the SD card, but not photos and other files.

Yes, that can be done when formatted as “internal” as show from this screen shot from the link I provided. However, it does not allow the kind of data you are trying to move. That would require you to have it formatted as “portable”.

Because it is…the sum of your phones storage and your internally formatted SD seems full. (This is why I said you probably need a bigger SD card.)

I have used only 15% of total storage. 5.17% of SD card (128 GB) 93.6% of phone storage. (16GB)

alt edwind.rbskac:
I manged to move some apps to the SD card

Yes, that can be done when formatted as “internal” as show from this screen shot from the link I provided. However, it does not allow the kind of data you are trying to move. That would require you to have it formatted as “portable”.

alt edwind.rbskac:
why do I get a notification that my storage is almost filled.

Because it is…the sum of your phones storage and your internally formatted SD seems full. (This is why I said you probably need a bigger SD card.)

What I believe your phone is telling you is your phones built in storage is full (that’s the warning your getting). Tho your SD card has room, it has become PART of your internal storage. You are not going to be able to MOVE data to it other than some apps and their needed files.

If you search this forum you’ll find out I am not a fan of using the SD card formatted as internal for so many reason. This one included, not to mention if it fails, it has a habit of screwing things up and losing data.

Hope this helps, that’s all I got to offer.

Hi @edwind.rbskac been following this thread. Agree with @SuperT about using the SD card as portable storage. We have 128GB SD cards in our Moto G6’s formatted as portable storage. We found that photos and media were our two big data users. Set camera to store photos on SD card by default and have not had a storage issue since.

This is a screen capture of what my phone storage looks like (just cleaned out most of photos on phone).

Assume this is the page where you’re getting the storage numbers you posted.

Did Android offer to migrate your data as part of the process used to format the SD card for internal use?

It’s been a while since I’ve played with an SD card formatted as internal but I thought the last step was for Android to offer to migrate your data. Here’s the process we used when formatting the SD card for internal storage –

• Open Settings > Storage
  • Tap the name of your SD card.
  • Tap the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
  • Tap Storage Settings .
  • Select format as internal option.
  • Tap Erase & Format at the prompt
  • Android will then offer to migrate your data

Just checking to see what process you used to format the SD card. Like I said, we went back to portable storage. Understand your need for more storage since your Moto E6 only has 16GB internal shared storage. We have 64GB internal storage and just system and other apps uses 14.98GB which is pretty close for a 16GB internal memory. And we don’t have a bunch of apps installed.

Not sure any of this will help but maybe it will at least help confirm what you have done so far. Maybe some other Members who are actively using SD cards formatted for internal use can jump in and add some hints and solutions, or at least confirm how their system is handling the expanded internal storage on the SD card.

I don’t remember if I was offered a chance to migrate my data. I probably would have not done it at the time, thinking that I could later decide what I wanted to transfer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer