Travelling to Canada. Is service available?

I’ll be taking a motorcycle trip to Alaska.

I have a Galaxy S7 that’s been working well. I’ve read older threads stating that there’s no Republic coverage in Canada, is that still the case?

Yes, that’s still the case. There will be no cell service anywhere outside US. You will have the same service on wifi, as you do at home. Meaning, you can call/text the US/Canada while connected to wifi. There will be no usable emergency calling while there. (If you made an emergency call it would be routed over wifi to a US dispatch center based on your e911 address).

I recommend that once there you put your phone in airplane mode and then manually turn wifi back on. This will keep your phone from searching for a cell signal it will never find (and very rapidly draining your battery), but still allow you to use the only capabilities that will work there.

Since you’re using one of the newer phones (not the Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2) you can also obtain a local SIM card, and place it in your phone for use while abroad. There is some great information here: International Travel with a Republic Phone

1 Like

Don’t understand the answer. Alaska is United States territiory. Do you get Republic cell service in Alaska?

The question was titled “Travelling to Canada”. And the question stated:

Canada and Alaska are two different things. Alaska is part of the US. Canada is a separate country.

There is no cellular coverage in Canada.

There is limited roaming cellular coverage in Alaska. What model phone will you be using? With that info, we can send you to the right coverage map.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer