Trying out other carriers

Regarding the ‘hearsay at best’ line of thought, seems like I should start another thread. Thinking also that a report of my mis-adventures trying to do business with other wireless phone providers might be helpful to some readers here. While I did not try Boost Mobile, other carriers (ting, visible, mint, and verizon) tangled with my mind.

Disclosure: I wanted to go with an iPhone 13 this go-around, so sadly I am no longer a customer with RW as of yesterday. Republic Wireless was gallant regarding porting out my number. Prepaid verizon is truly, shockingly, pitiful with customer service, and a 13 year veteran employee at a verizon store indicated this is not particularly new knowledge, though I think the ripple effects of COVID are at play as well.

My wife is still up in the air, and is ok sticking with southpaw’s excellent colleagues if they choose to be competitive with Tello, (both price and service). We shall see… Here’s hoping DISH will step up and retain the fine employees of Republic Wireless, because it seems they could easily find work with another wireless provider, or some other company that values integrity, hard work and professionalism.

2 Likes

Interesting, have you had a good experience with Tello support? I have a single phone on Tello and the pricing is great, but I had recent cause to use their support and it was, well, VERY frustrating.

Hey Louisdi . You bring up a good point. My experience with Tello is only a couple weeks old, but compared with the others, it was good. They were not going to let me order from them when I gave our physical address. No hope for service at our remote location. So I chose to give our work address to proceed with getting a SIM card. Given that we are on Viasat satellite service for WiFi at home; After requesting assistance via email, Tello sent instructions how to enable e911 emergency address to hopefully facilitate responders finding us while calling out on a number that appears to be from the Chicago area (we are in New Mexico). I have also talked to (appropriate sounding) humans on the phone with them, to good affect.

Not long ago, on the same day, I tried to do phone banking with our credit union. RW almost always can’t get keypad function to work. I replaced the Tello SIM card back into the Samsung S9 and was able to complete a credit card payment strictly with telephone keypad. What’s more, reception is markedly better in our fringe area. Still not great, but more chances for a text or a continuation of a phone call. Is this because of the uniqueness of RW? Is it because TMobile plays more friendly with Tello? Will TMobile act better with RW in the future? I hope RW can come out of this DISH thing, stronger than ever.

This doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Tello offers no domestic roaming, Republic does. A Republic GSM SIM vs a Tello SIM should have precisely the same coverage in T-Mobile areas, and the Republic SIM should have coverage in T-Mobile roaming areas where the Tello SIM would have none.

This is likely all a moot point though as unless something changes it appears that Dish will moving to AT&T for the network at some point and based on press reports that is likely to include Republic customers as well.

Wednesday (~5days ago), after waiting 12 days to get a SIM card from Verizon even though Verizon said they ship 2 days, I went to a Verizon store to get activation. The employee was not thrilled to be dealing with a prepaid account activation but was polite. It took almost an hour. He had to wait on hold just like I endured 4 times (lasting in total about 2 and a half hours) but he did get through and after setting up an account later and trouble shooting got phone service. I was reluctant to take a chance on using my original Republic Wireless phone number so got a new number to test it out. On Thursday I went to a different Verizon store (spread the pain, right) to assign my number with the new Verizon account. He was also polite and waited about 15 minutes on hold with Verizon before he decided to try to do it online. This seemed to work after another 15 minutes or so. When the site indicated RW relinquished the number, the agent said to give it time. Website said up to 2 hours. Well, 3 days later still nothing about getting my number again. A few minutes ago I called Verizon. When their computer established that I needed to port my old number, the computer said, “Sorry, we are having technical problems. Good bye.” Then promptly hung up on me.

Be grateful for Republic Wireless customer service.

6 Likes

Republic is a VoIP carrier, it’s almost always 3 to 7 days, sometimes much longer for a number to transfer.

Data sample of one, so take it FWIW…but my number transferred to Mint in under an hour.
This was right in the middle of the intermittent service disruptions end of last month, no less.

I just wanted to add my experience over here because every now and then we hear people complaining about number transfers taking too long and somehow RW’s dragging their feet.
RW has absolutely no interest in dragging their feet and as @rolandh explains in his article, everything is so automated with this process, that if everything goes well it is perfectly feasible to get a number transferred fairly quickly.

1 Like

The challenge is that the gaining carrier is in charge. Verizon, on their site, says 2-10 days for wireline transfers. They’re one of the worst. T-Mobile on the other hand, is far better at it.

3 Likes

Well, an hour or so after getting hung up on the phone by Verizon, I used Verizon chat for another attempt to solve the number transfer problem. I was given a phone number for the porting department. The lady said my number was scheduled to change the next day but offered to do it then. She completed it but it did not take. She sent me to the service folks, who sent me to tier 2 service. This guy had a thick accent but when asked pleasantly if he was in the Philippines or India, he told me Verizon doesn’t allow that information to be disclosed. After he suggested various methods, I mentioned that we do not have mobile service at our house but could walk for a few minutes and get on the roof of our shipping container storage unit for tower reception. That seemed to do it. Porting complete; it took 1 hour and 57 minutes on the phone.

Yesterday we got notice that Verizon did credit our PayPal for the initial SIM card order that never came. It is sad to not be with Verizon but interesting to have an iPhone for the first time, and Verizon reception is so much better for our location.

Message an
Expert customer