Trying to buy Used Phone

I am trying to buy a used phone. I have tried and tried to see if it’s compatible but no one on Swappa will answer me. It looks like the exact same phone but I can’t find the model numbers that Republic says I need. Could someone please help me to analyze and know what I am looking at?

The listing says: Samsung Galaxy S8 [SM-G950U1] 64GB Unlocked Clean IMEI Google Unlocked
Where do I look to find out if this is compatible? They look like the exact same phone. I am clueless when it comes to all this stuff. I have tried reading the articles but still feel lost when knowing I am getting something that will work with Republic.

Thanks!

Hi @alisonp.criu3n,

Based on the information, you posted, it is indeed the Republic compatible variant of Samsung’s Galaxy S8. If you post the link to the listing on Swappa, we can take a look for extra assurance is you like. In my opinion, the best resource for help sourcing Republic compatible phones is here: How to Find a Compatible Unlocked Phone.

Will this new to you phone be used for a new line of service with Republic or are you upgrading a current Republic phone? Please let us know for further insight.

Thank you so much!

I am replacing a phone. I already have service with Republic but my current phone’s sound is going out. I have had it 3-4 years. I am not a tech person and I must be asking dumb questions on Swappa, because I can’t get anyone to reply! :laughing: I have looked at several of the articles and things that Republic offers but couldn’t tell if I was looking at the right things, because none of the numbers look right. When I went through Republic’s wizard it told me to look for GSM and model #s SM-G950UZKAXAA or SM-G950UZBAXAA.

Thank you again for your help!

That does indeed appear to be the right version of the phone for Republic.

There are a couple listed in Mint condition. Here are the other links if that helps. I don’t have my heart set on one of them, just looking for a good deal.

As far as I could tell, they would all be compatible. :woman_shrugging:

Thanks again.

They all appear to be the right version and don’t exhibit any of the warning signs of a doctored phone.

So, just for future reference… is this - [SM-G950U1] - what I am looking for?

Thank you for your help and for looking at those for me!

That is generally what you’re looking for, yes.

Thank you! That helps!

Hi @alisonp.criu3n,

The reason for asking about whether you were replacing a phone is you may or may not need a SIM to go with a new to you phone. I should have but forgot to ask that you share the brand, model and generation of the phone being replaced.

My phone is a Moto G4 Plus, Android version 7.0, Model XT1644.

Hi @alisonp.criu3n,

Thank you for the additional context! If the SIM in your Moto G4 Plus is GSM, it will move to an S8 or other Republic compatible phone. If it’s CDMA, there’s more you need to know. Here’s how to tell which SIM you have: How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA – Republic Help.

Thanks! I looked and it is a GSM. So I won’t purchase the new SIM card.

Hi @alisonp.criu3n,

Indeed, no need to acquire a new SIM as your GSM SIM will move. You may need to punch out the smallest (nano) size. Once you’ve moved the SIM and install the Republic app on the “new” phone, you’ll proceed through an abbreviated activation sequence, which will move your service.

Thanks!

I have a Moto X 4 Gen I no longer use. The sim cards are not removable. I bought it from Republic, though. I am in a low coverage area and now Republic says they have no phones that work here.

I’m not sure what these means. The Moto X4 is a factory unlocked phones that can be used with any carrier that will accept the phone.

Oops, the Moto X was my previous phone, sorry. The one I don’t use
anymore is the Moto G4 Plus. The SIM card is encased in the phone.

Removal instructions:

There’s also a video on YouTube:

Thanks, but I don’t want to remove it. I don’t use the phone
anymore.