Trying to register a phone and google play services has stopped

Hi @jasonm.9x2ij,

Until Google resolves the issue with Google Play services getting anything synced to your Google account on the Moto X would be a challenge. Contacts would be relatively easy, however, moving apps would require that each be individually sideloaded to the Moto X.

Have you opened a help ticket regarding the return of your Moto G4. If not, I suggest you do so when signed into your Republic account here: Republic Help. If you already have an open ticket, please comment on that rather than opening a new ticket. Republic is well aware of the dilemma caused by the Google Play services situation. I’m confident, they’ll work with you on the return window given the circumstances.

In an event, factory resetting the G4 won’t cause you to lose contacts or apps as those are synced to Google’s cloud and will sync back to the Moto X when the play services issue is resolved and you’re able to sign into your Google account on the phone. You may verify your contacts are safe here from a computer: contacts.google.com.

Has anyone heard of a time frame for the issues to be fixed?

Apparently it is fixed. According to the system status page all systems are operational including activation’s and provisioning.

Seriously?! did they give instructions how to get it functioning again? Mine still won’t open, same message, same close. I tried disabling it and re-enabling it, and no go still weeps. Definitely not fixed on my phone :frowning:

Hi @audreyj.n2ue6t,

I’m sorry to say, the issue with Google Play services has not been resolved. You should be able to skip past adding your Google account (if you haven’t already done so), activate the phone and use the apps bundled with the phone. You will not be able to add apps or update apps already on the phone until Google fixes its glitch.

Any idea on when this issue should be fixed?

The inability to add one’s Google account due to Google Play services crashing is a Google issue not a Republic one. Republic isn’t tracking this Google issue on its status page. If members wish, they may open a help ticket and ask that it be attached to Master Ticket 1018243, so that they’re notified when a solution is available.

Specifically, members are welcome to use the language “On the advice of a Community Ambassador, please attach this ticket to Master Ticket 1018243.” You are more than welcome to pass along the language.

Hi @jasonm.9x2ijp,

Sadly, we have no timeframe for resolution. Google must fix this glitch.

If you haven’t already done so, you might consider opening a help ticket, so that Republic may notify you when a solution is available. Specifically, please use the language “On the advice of a Community Ambassador, please attach this ticket to Master Ticket 1018243.”

I have everything ready to send my Moto G back but I can’t find the original box. Will they still take the phone back?

I always considered getting updates to the Republic Wireless apps as a necessary part of the activation process but I suppose that’s just the way I think.

Thanx @rolandh, thats what I’ll do. So frustrated with Google right now!

1 Like

Perhaps some sort of sideloading arrangement for the Republic app could be set up for those willing to try it.

Hi @jasonm.9x2ijp ,

We currently have a ticket open with Google and they have not provided an ETA on resolving this issue.

1 Like

glarepate wrote:

Perhaps some sort of sideloading arrangement for the Republic app could be set up for those willing to try it.

The problem isn’t the Republic apps. It’s Google Play services. Any attempt to sign into a Google account on a freshly factory reset Lollipop phone is causing Google Play services to crash. That said, until Google acts, it’s looking like the only effective workaround will be sideloading a working copy of Google Play services.

Doubtful Republic will bless such a solution (and that’s perfectly understandable), so it will likely need to come from Community. I’m hoping to see something more organized than postings to multiple threads.

I’m hoping to see something more organized than postings to multiple threads.

If you are seeing multiple threads on the topic, feel free to direct them to a single, well-titled one, and flag others for locking.

There are people who were impacted by this but their thread titles don’t indicate a relationship. Moreover, the OP in this thread (Audrey) tried and failed to fix this with the sideload. I don’t have the problem otherwise I’d write step-by-step instructions for performing the side-load. @southpaw@rw do you know someone with a spare phone that could write-up a work-around?

Deleted Keyboard, Now Can’t Unlock Phone

Yes. Please expect to see an unofficial workaround late tonight.

Oh @southpaw@rw , you just work too long and too hard. Knowing you as we do this is one of those tasks you will spend your otherwise-free time on. The Community is SO FORTUNATE to have you.

1 Like

You asked if I knew someone…

1 Like

But people would still be able to Activate their phones if they sideloaded the Republic app, would they not? I realize this wouldn’t solve the Google issue but since most users don’t download new apps – according to articles by some tech pundits I have read – my thought is that getting phone service would be the critically important temporary step.

Message an
Expert customer