Two RW accounts, one can connect to the network, the other cannot. What's up?

My wife and I have separate RW accounts.

My phone: Moto G Play, Android 7.1.1.
RW 3.0 plan with 1 GB data

My wife’s phone: Moto E5 play Android 8
RW 3.0 plan, no data

The other day we were in an area with poor connectivity. However, I was able to connect to the cellular network and send/receive text.

My wife (Moto E5 play/Android 8) received a “No Network Connection” error and was unable to send/receive text messages.

This has happened before and she seems to have frequent issues with network connectivity whereas I usually do not.

Any thoughts as to what’s happening?

Republic Wireless uses two different types of SIM cards (with differences in coverage). It’s possible that there is a difference between the SIM card type in your phone and your wife’s phone. You can determine the SIM card type by following the instructions at:

1 Like

Ah, that may be it. My SIM is CDMA, my wife’s is GSM. Is it possible to get a CDMA card for her phone?

And for that matter, a GSM card for mine, as I seem to recall that she sometimes has better reception than I do in a different location.

1 Like

To request a CDMA SIM see the article linked below:

GSM SIM cards are sold in the Republic Wireless store:

Hi @johng.6r5jad ,

Unfortunately the Moto E5 Play is not compatible with the CDMA SIM card. We cannot provide a CDMA SIM card for your wife’s phone.

Thanks!

Will swapping the card require re-activating or loss of any data or settings?

Hi southpaw – Bummer. It does seem that she suffers from network issues more than I do. Is there a way to check the prevalance of network types here in southern Maine? If it’s heavily weighted towards CDMA we might need new phone.

Since T-Mobile and Sprint have merged, and T-Mobile’s plan is to replace the pre-existing Sprint (CDMA) network with T-Mobile (GSM) service, I don’t think your best solution is spending a lot of money on a new phone, if that’s the only reason you’re upgrading the phone.

There may be other reasons - for example, perhaps the cellular bands that the E5 Play works with do not include the frequencies that T-Mobile will be using as it rolls out its new network. I’m afraid I’m not an expert on that kind of analysis, but some of our Community members may be able to advise you there.

The GSM carrier has expanded coverage in Southern Maine recently. Most of that expanded coverage uses cellular band 71 (600 MHz). I’m afraid your wife’s Moto E5 play is not capable of using cellular band 71.

1 Like

OK… so moving forward, how do I select a phone that won’t have an issue like this in the future? I see the specs in your descriptions for various networks, but they don’t mean anything to me. We hate to have to buy a new phone, but if this one isn’t going to work, we may have to and we don’t want to repeat the mistake.

Interestingly, or perhaps frustratingly, this is only a short-term issue. The CDMA network is being shut down early in 2022 and in theory by that point the coverage will have been migrated over to the GSM network.

That said, the way to avoid it is to make sure that the phone you decide to get indicates it has CDMA support in this document; Detailed Supported Phone Features

Thanks Louis… but now I’m really confused. If the CDMA network is being shut down in early 2022, why would I want a phone that has CDMA?

The CDMA phones have both CDMA and GSM so they’re ready for the “new” network once the coverage is transitioned. Since your phone on CDMA has good coverage in your area, that’s the way to have coverage until then.

1 Like

Ah… thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer