Unfortunately com.android.com phone has stopped

What phone do you have? Moto G 1st Gen
What plan are you on? Wi-Fi, Cell + Data
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

Issue Description

over the last week I started to get error messages that the phone could not detect a Sim card. I thought this was strange, as my Moto G doesn't have a Sim card. The problem was cleared by reboot. Then new error messages appeared on reboot saying unfortunately Android phone has stopped. Have not been able to clear this error, even by performing a factory reset through the backup and restore feature. One tech I chatted with told me I needed a new phone. I still think this is a software issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Moto G 1st Gen
Android 5.1
Kernel 3.4.42-gb965ded

I would try an external factory reset and not restore anything from Google. If the problem persists after that you need a new phone. If it doesn’t, reinstall you apps one-by-one to see if one of those is causing this problem.

1 Like

If same issue as below you may want to try the recommended steps. Good luck.

…

2 Likes

Performed a factory reset with same result. No cellular service. Unable to activate phone. Can’t make or receive calls even over WiFi. However, I can receive text messages using the new anywhere app.

After trying the above suggestions, and still getting the same results, looks like the phone is not recoverable. You could try another factory reset, sometimes the second one works. This time, let the phone rest after connecting to WiFi. Give it 40 minutes to run Google updates and cool off.

If that doesn’t work or it’s time to shop for a new phone. Yes, the plans are different with the newer phones, but they run more up-to-date OS. More phone choices are being added on a regular basis.

https://republicwireless.com/cell-phone-plans/

https://republicwireless.com/shop/

Tell us more about you being unable to activate the phone. Until the phone is activated you will not be able to make calls over cell or WiFi. Activation takes place over WiFi. Here are the steps for the external factory reset. You phone is most likely on Lollipop.

Android 5.x Lollipop Steps

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight Recovery mode.
Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding down the Power key, press and release the Volume Up key, then release Power.
Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.
Android 4.4 KitKat Steps

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button, then press the Power button for about 3 seconds.
From the Boot Mode Selection Menu screen, use the Volume Down button to scroll to Recovery, and press Volume Up to select.
When the screen with the Android logo appears, press and hold the Volume Up button for 10-15 seconds.
While holding the Volume Up button, press and release the Power button.
Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer